Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 1995 SHO 3.2 AT, and it has some issues, and wanted some insight before I buy. The guy said that sometimes (the problem is intermittent) the car wont run so well, and that when it doesn't, sometimes it will shutter when your accelerate from a stop, but them return to normal, or it will have delayed shifts, and sometimes when you stop, it won't return to 1st. He replaced O2 sensors and 'Throttle POS Sensor', and still runs like that. He said his brother said it may need a new computer. Does that sound plausible?

I'm going to look at it today to let you know first hand what it does, but any ideas BEFORE I go to see it will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Take a paper clip with you so you can jumper the EEC TEST connector under the hood and read out the 3 digit codes by watching the CEL flash them out. Run all 3 tests (KOEO, CM, and KOER) and report the results here.

It is VERY rare for Ford PCMs, especially EEC IV / OBD I units, to fail unless seriously abused (voltage spikes due to incorrect charger hookup, batterry installed with reverse polarity, etc).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking at a 1995 SHO 3.2 AT, and it has some issues, and wanted some insight before I buy. The guy said that sometimes (the problem is intermittent) the car wont run so well, and that when it doesn't, sometimes it will shutter when your accelerate from a stop, but them return to normal, or it will have delayed shifts, and sometimes when you stop, it won't return to 1st. He replaced O2 sensors and 'Throttle POS Sensor', and still runs like that. He said his brother said it may need a new computer. Does that sound plausible?

I'm going to look at it today to let you know first hand what it does, but any ideas BEFORE I go to see it will be appreciated.
I had my computer refurbished at half the cost. Took care of a lot of issues I was having.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There's an inexpensive smart phone app and connector out there that delivers the scanning capability of big-bucks professional scan tools. Might be a good investment. Much cheaper than simply throwing parts at a car. And with all the money you save you can buy some good tools.
Mass airflow sensor needs cleaning? EGR valve needs cleaning/ replaceement? Idle air valve needs cleaning? Vacuum leak? Crankshaft position sensor going bad? These are all cheap fixes if you do it yourself. YouTube videos exist for all the above.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
95 is OBD1. AFAIK no phone apps or anything else available for OBD1 systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts