Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After coming out of a concert,my 1995 Sable LTS with a 3.0/AX4N (Plate code x) appeared to slip as i pulled out onto the highway. At first I wasn't sure what had happened, but then it occured much more frequently. I made it home, but I wasn't able to get any higher than 45MPH before the transmission would disengage and the engine would just rev up. When the transmission kicked in, there would be power and then fade out soon after. This was evident throughout all the gear shifts it would go through. light shifts went through ok, but when the speed and RPM climbed, the trans seemed to disengage.

I read there are potential issues with either the pump, associated shaft, and issues in the valve body. Would like to know if anyone knows of a fix for this and if it can be done without pulling the transmission out.

If the trans does have to get replaced, what other models of the AX4N can I use? I was told that the trans is pretty specific to the Sable/Taurus within a few years. Thought?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: The car has about 215K miles on it, but it was running great just before I parked it and came back a few hours later. Also, one of the quick connectors on the trans cooler lines was leaking a few weeks back. I fixed the leak and topped off the fluid and the car ran great afterwards, but it was about 4 quarts low....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 29 2010, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807620
Is it possible that it is now overfilled, and the fluid is foaming up?[/b]
Hi,

When I did the reapir on the leak, I checked the fluid level a few times and it was within the hatched out area on the dip-stick, so I'm sure the trans had fluid. When this problem came up, I pulled over thinking the line might of leaked out again, but the fluid levels were fine. I'm looking into checking the line pressure when I get a chance. I have the service manual from Ford, so I have a good reference.

I also scanned the EEC-IV computer system, and got a few codes:
539 - A/C Defrost on during KOEO (Key on engine off)
211 - Erratic PIP signal
452 - Open VSS circuit

I'll have to re-run the scan test after I clear the codes. I think some of these may have been set erroneously. I changed the module and igintion pickup assembly and set the timing, so code 211 might be false. Code 452 on the other hand is suspect. Will re-post after I rerun the next few tests.
Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked the pressures on the LINE and EPC ports of the AX4N transmission. All of the readings for the line pressure are extremely low, where as the EPC port is excessively high in some cases.

The Ford dealer/shop manual lists the pressures as follow. My readings are in ()'s

Gear--------- EPC (psi) --------- Line (psi)
-------------------------------------------------
Po_________40-60 (150)_____130-160 (45)
P _________10-20 (58)______56-84 (~5)
R ________10-20 (110)______70-108 (20)
N ________10-20 (48)_______56-84 (~0)
OD________10-20 (58)_______56-84 (~5)
D _________10-20 (58)_______56-84 (~40)
1 _________10-20 (58)_______56-84 (~5)

I'm thinking the EPC solonoid is deffective. Seems like the pump can produce the pressures required, but its notgoing to the right places.

Can the valve body cover be removed WITHOUT pulling the trans? I'm hoping theres enough clearance between the chassis and the trans to clear the pan free. I know I have to take the transmount and the metal bracket off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
QUOTE (gbriceno @ May 31 2010, 03:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808142
Just checked the pressures on the LINE and EPC ports of the AX4N transmission. All of the readings for the line pressure are extremely low, where as the EPC port is excessively high in some cases.

The Ford dealer/shop manual lists the pressures as follow. My readings are in ()'s

Gear--------- EPC (psi) --------- Line (psi)
-------------------------------------------------
Po_________40-60 (150)_____130-160 (45)
P _________10-20 (58)______56-84 (~5)
R ________10-20 (110)______70-108 (20)
N ________10-20 (48)_______56-84 (~0)
OD________10-20 (58)_______56-84 (~5)
D _________10-20 (58)_______56-84 (~40)
1 _________10-20 (58)_______56-84 (~5)

I'm thinking the EPC solonoid is deffective. Seems like the pump can produce the pressures required, but its notgoing to the right places.

Can the valve body cover be removed WITHOUT pulling the trans? I'm hoping theres enough clearance between the chassis and the trans to clear the pan free. I know I have to take the transmount and the metal bracket off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.[/b]
Same issue here with my trans. I was hoping I could just replace the solenoid, but don't want to pull the trans to do so. Anybody know the answer to this?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I had the open VSS circuit code once, and car drove like trans was shot. New VSS solved everything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
QUOTE (drh1957 @ Jun 7 2010, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810093
I had the open VSS circuit code once, and car drove like trans was shot. New VSS solved everything.[/b]
I replaced my speed sensor and my turbine speed sensor and my throttle position sensor. No help.

OP, there is a harness the connects right into the transmission, called the bulk head connector. it's usually found on the right (drivers) side of the car, usually underneath the air box. When disconnected, it runs the transmission at full line pressure, which can tell you if your EPC is bad or not. My car, when disconnected, runs perfectly. The shifts are a bit rough, but it actually shifts. I cannot guarantee it won't do anything bad to it, but I've driving mine for about 20 miles now with no harm. As soon as it's reconnected, the slipping returns.

Give it a try, if you'd like, and see if that corrects the issue. If it does, it's most likely your EPC Solenoid, or the bands in your transmission are too worn and aren't catching anymore at normal pressure levels.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
When you found the cooler line leak, how long do you suppose you drove it 4 qts low????

Has it had a pan drop, filter change & full fluid pump out????
If not, tanny filter clogging may be suspect & if it was driven very long with the fluid 4 qts low, maybe suspect gum, varnish & sludge from overheated tranny fluid, is mucking things up.

More thougths for pondering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes you can remove the the side pan without removing the whole transmission. i know my husband and i just did it. it is a bit tricky in some spots but it can be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts