Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 mercury sable with the 3.0 vulcan motor , car stalled on my wife one night suddenly. It wont take gas and i have to press gas pedal slow to make it rev. ! When i try to give it a quick press on the gas it bogs down and pop back through the intake ! Car still idle and has a slight miss but was doing that for a while with no problem. I have replaced fuel pump , plugs wires and temp sensor ! After getting car to crank < it usually wont crank right back after sitting for 10 to 20 min. Please help if you can anybody ! Thanks !

·
Registered
194 Posts
hmm I had an issue sort of like that with my ranger, ended up being the TPS. Also check the timing and see if the contacts are clean in the distributor.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
TFI module on the side of the distributor sounds like it is failing. Use only the Motorcraft replacement part.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I would also recommend checking the EGR system. A malfunctioning EGR can cause backfiring out the TB.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I think they took the module off the side of the distributor starting in 1992.
Not on the Taurus 3.0. My 95 has the TFI in the "normal" position on the side of the dist. Some fords, in the early 90s (ending at 95, of course, when OBDII came along), F series gas engines and MN12 Tbird / Cougar come to mind, went to a remote mount TFI on a heat sink. Sometimes they were mounted on the core support, and some were even mounted with the heat sink fins in the air intake to the engine for constant air flow over the heat sink.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I think they took the module off the side of the distributor starting in 1992.
WRONG. it stayed till it was replaced by the coil pack in the FFV versions or starting in late/mid 95 when the computer was upgraded to obd2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts