Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car goes from 1st to 2nd its great.
when my car goes from 2nd to 3rd it suck.

if im slowly climbing a hill the tranny slips. Sometimes the tranny will slip if i am very slowly accelerating. But the wierd part is that if i put alot more gas pedal after i get into 2nd then my engine will shift nicely. I dont understand whats wrong with it. The fluid is fine. just had the gasket and filter replaced. So what can i do?

P.S. It doesnt always slip. Sometimes it will shift flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Could be some gunk in the valve body. I had a similar problem, and Lucas Transmission Oil Conditioner fixed it right up. (I did drain a bit of fluid out first so that I could add it though.)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
What did the old fluid look like & how did the deposit load in the tranny pan look???? Any signs of varnish on the valve body, pan or dipstick????

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
so how do i drain some fluid?
For me it was easy since I have the police transmission cooler installed. I just disconnected one of the cooler lines and had a friend crank the engine while I made sure to keep the fluid from spraying all over the place.

Otherwise, you might have to loosen the pan bolts until it starts to leak into a catch pan. (make sure to do it evenly around the whole pan so that you don't bend/distort it) Just wait until you think that you have about a quart of fluid out and then just re-tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
To remove some tranny fluid, pull the tranny dipstick, insert a length of tubing thats longer than the tranny dipstick, fasten it to an old hand soap pumps syphon tube, or transfer, or lower unit marine hand pump syphon tube & pump out as much fluid as you need too!!!!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
there didnt seem to be anything wrong...the fluid didnt look dirty or have any metal shavings
Well since the old fluid & pan deposits seem to have looked ok, then as has been said, with the vintage of this ride it could be deposit problems like varnish mucking something up & causing a pressure problem in the valve body, solenoids, clutch packs, or torque converter, so maybe a good detergent like half a can of SeaFoam Trans Tune in the tranny fluid & driving it some to see if you get positive results, may be worth a try.

I've had positive results with the Trans Tune in my 94 AXODE to clear up false neutrals, hanging 2-1 down shifts & in the power steering in the Taurus & Ranger to clear up off center shudder, or temporary loss of boost. My tranny fluid looked good & pan deposits were nil, with fluid flushes & fiter changes every 30-35K miles, I still had problems, probably some varnish hanging something up & apparently it doesn't take much to cause mischief.
The Trans tune is just a tidy upper, of pale oil, napatha, isopropyl alcohol & red dye, doesn't go after seals, gaskets, plastic, composit or metal parts, so its likely safe when used as directed if you decide to try it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since the old fluid & pan deposits seem to have looked ok, then as has been said, with the vintage of this ride it could be deposit problems like varnish mucking something up & causing a pressure problem in the valve body, solenoids, clutch packs, or torque converter, so maybe a good detergent like half a can of SeaFoam Trans Tune in the tranny fluid & driving it some to see if you get positive results, may be worth a try.

I've had positive results with the Trans Tune in my 94 AXODE to clear up false neutrals, hanging 2-1 down shifts & in the power steering in the Taurus & Ranger to clear up off center shudder, or temporary loss of boost. My tranny fluid looked good & pan deposits were nil, with fluid flushes & fiter changes every 30-35K miles, I still had problems, probably some varnish hanging something up & apparently it doesn't take much to cause mischief.
The Trans tune is just a tidy upper, of pale oil, napatha, isopropyl alcohol & red dye, doesn't go after seals, gaskets, plastic, composit or metal parts, so its likely safe when used as directed if you decide to try it.
Im always afraid of the transmission additives though.
Has anyone else had luck with this trans tune

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts