Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 ford taurus with the 3.0 engine. For the last year or so, I have had problems with this car battery dying when sitting overnight. The problem is really weird as it seems to come and go which makes it hard to work on and diagnose. Today, I hooked up a multimeter between the negative battery post and cable and had a draw of around 2 amps. (This is after I removed the fuse for the interior courtesy lights while working on it, and also the light bulb under the hood). I then proceeded with the parasitic draw test and pulled every single fuse and relay out of both fuse boxes - (the one under the dash and under the hood). The result did not change that draw at any point, it stayed at a steady current draw of around 2 amps. I am now stumped, I realize that a draw of 2 amps while the car is completely shut off and key removed is way too high. What can I do now to try to diagnose where this draw could possibly be happening at?

·
Registered
49 Posts
What about a rusted ground? I would check the wiring dia, and see if theres any grounds that are out. Also, the locking module, which i had go bad on another car, would cause issues like this.

Test the lock module (the one that controls all the locks and lights, the one I had was in the trunk, left side, under the sidewall)
Then look for bad grounds. Would explain why it doesnt always happen, as some positions may allow it to get a better ground connection. Not really good with wiring, so just listing issues I had, that eventually would kill the car, or cause the alternator to blow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts