Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 with a 3.8 L engine. I started fine the other day and the next it won't. The engine will rotate and try to start but it won't . I have replaced the fuel relay module, checked spark plugs, fuel pump turns on and the inertia switch has been checked. I can spray ether and it will run but dies as soon as i stop spraying . I've been an autobody tech for 16 yrs and have mechanic just as much. The car has fire to plugs and the fuel rail seems to have pressure. Can anyone help??!! Need to get this car running NOW!!!

HELP!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
u check to see if you have gas at the injectors?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (fordtaurus2000 @ May 30 2009, 09:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729107
u check to see if you have gas at the injectors?[/b]

There is gas in the fuel rail and there is pressure but not sure if it is enough pressure to get into the injectors....I have no way to test it....I pressurised the system but still wont start...

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Go to advance or AZ and rent a fuel pressure tik and see if you have the proper pressure. Might not have enought fuel pressure. Replace the fuel filter if you havent in awhile.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (fordtaurus2000 @ May 30 2009, 09:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729113
Go to advance or AZ and rent a fuel pressure tik and see if you have the proper pressure. Might not have enought fuel pressure. Replace the fuel filter if you havent in awhile.[/b]

It has a fairly new fuel filter on it i check it first and un hook the lines it was free of debris and seem to have fairly good pressure when i turn the ignition switch on to see if the pump was working

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I guess u have spark if you spray starting fluid in it and it runs. THen you might not have a strong enough spark.

You might want to try having someone crank the car over while someone tapes on the gas tank....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (fordtaurus2000 @ May 30 2009, 09:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729118
I guess u have spark if you spray starting fluid in it and it runs. THen you might not have a strong enough spark.

You might want to try having someone crank the car over while someone tapes on the gas tank....[/b]

could it be the ignition module not putting enough spark out or a crank sensor i had several tell me to check them but i dont think it has a crank sensor . I just got this car for my wife and she needs it for work monday .

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You don't have an ignition module or a crank sensor. You have a distributor with an ignition coil. Check to make sure the distributor cap isn't cracked and the inside isn't corroded.

·
Registered
205 Posts
QUOTE (belton @ May 30 2009, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729105
I have a 1994 with a 3.8 L engine. I started fine the other day and the next it won't. The engine will rotate and try to start but it won't . I have replaced the fuel relay module, checked spark plugs, fuel pump turns on and the inertia switch has been checked. I can spray ether and it will run but dies as soon as i stop spraying . I've been an autobody tech for 16 yrs and have mechanic just as much. The car has fire to plugs and the fuel rail seems to have pressure. Can anyone help??!! Need to get this car running NOW!!![/b]
Locate the spout and take out the jumper. This bypasses lots of various inputs for the spark generation. Slight chance from what you described, but try it.

Stan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (st5 @ May 30 2009, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729131
I have a 1994 with a 3.8 L engine. I started fine the other day and the next it won't. The engine will rotate and try to start but it won't . I have replaced the fuel relay module, checked spark plugs, fuel pump turns on and the inertia switch has been checked. I can spray ether and it will run but dies as soon as i stop spraying . I've been an autobody tech for 16 yrs and have mechanic just as much. The car has fire to plugs and the fuel rail seems to have pressure. Can anyone help??!! Need to get this car running NOW!!![/b]
Locate the spout and take out the jumper. This bypasses lots of various inputs for the spark generation. Slight chance from what you described, but try it.

Stan
[/b][/quote]

ok stan where the spout you talking about where it located ill try anything

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So given the information here.... where would you start fresh in the morning?????? The fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump... in that order to see what works or doesn't.....??????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't have an ignition module or a crank sensor. You have a distributor with an ignition coil. Check to make sure the distributor cap isn't cracked and the inside isn't corroded.
[/quot

Been there done that.....i gotta make this thing run today....so Next on the list is the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump... if that dont work.... As a Man I am Screwed if you know what I mean...... my wife needs this car to run Monday for WORK!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been there done that.....i gotta make this thing run today....so Next on the list is the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump... if that dont work.... As a Man I am Screwed if you know what I mean...... my wife needs this car to run Monday for WORK!!!
[/quote]

Anybody got any other input on this problem??... I am headed out to try and get this thing to GO.... Input is valuable!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced the fuel pressure regulator... still nothing. What's the odds it is the fuel pump?? Hate to replace an expensive part if that's not the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (belton @ May 30 2009, 07:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729134
QUOTE (st5 @ May 30 2009, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729131

Stan
[/b][/quote]

ok stan where the spout you talking about where it located ill try anything
[/b][/quote]

The spout plug is a gray rectangular plug on the firewall near the passenger side strut tower. It's usually covered with some tape.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (belton @ May 30 2009, 10:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729155
Been there done that.....i gotta make this thing run today....so Next on the list is the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump... if that dont work.... As a Man I am Screwed if you know what I mean...... my wife needs this car to run Monday for WORK!!![/b]
Take it easy. It's Sunday morning/afternoon. People are probably doing stuff. I know it's frustrating, but it's not our problem and we're not being paid to answer questions. Demanding immediate answers is just going to turn people away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First I would like to say.... I didn't mean to sound demanding in seeking help. I am just frustrated. Please accept my apology.

Next, I have now replaced the fuel pump, the fuel pressure relay and the car still won't start.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well if you have spark & fuel pressure at the fue rail, then check the injectors for 12 volts B+ at their electrical connector, with the ignition switch at KOER.

If you have B+ to the injectors, suspect the computer isn't supplying the ground switching for some reason.

So listen to the injectors with a stethoscope while a helper cranks the engine & see if you can hear them click, or install a "Noid" light in the suspect/s injector harness & see if it'll blink when the engine is cranked.

If no ground switching, look back to the injectors wiring connector, all the way back to the computers electrical connector.

If you don't find any problems, suspect the computers ground switching circuit.

A bunch more thoughts for pondering, let us know what you find.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts