Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have 1994 ford taurus gl i bought this car as my daily driver it ran fine then all of a sudden it started sputtering and dying on me and then it just wouldn't start i replaced the starter, spark plugs, the battery. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with it so i can either fix or sell it, please help me.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If it cranks over OK and does not fire, it could be the TFI module
at the base of the distributor (if you have a distributor)

It takes a special thin wall socket to change it.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
check your module or the complete distributor could be a good replacement did you try and turn the key to start and check if you have spark on the plug

and do you hear the pump whine when you put th ekey on the on part

if you dont hear a pump it could mean you have to replace yoour fuel pump his the tank empty

when mine was empty i was getting some weird bug and if you if you need a pump i have a carter pump new in box never used

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuel pump turns on and whines nice and strong, when i turn the car on to start it doesn't crank or anything just the fuel pump kicking on lights work just no cranking.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
fuel pump turns on and whines nice and strong, when i turn the car on to start it doesn't crank or anything just the fuel pump kicking on lights work just no cranking.
If the starter does not TURN AT ALL, you have to figure out if its the starter or the wiring. Its not uncommon for a Taurus starter to develop a bad spot in the armature. a few whacks with a heavy pipe or such on the starter can sometimes bring it back to life temporarily. there is a small wire going to the starter that control the solenoid to make it run. Sometimes, this push on wire can get dirty, loose it clamp tension , or not have any power at all to it when your trying to start the car. take the wire off and clean it. see if it firmly slides onto the starters lug. if it does not, use a needle nose or such and try to clamp the edge of the connector (car side) slightly tighter after you clean it out. Then whack on the starter and see if it starts. If there is still nothing, you need to get a Volt meter and measure the voltage on the small line while someone is trying to start the car inside. disconnect the line from the starter and measure the voltage on it with the key on and on crank position. If you got 12volts, you know you have a starter issue. If you got NO volts, you have a wiring problem of some kind. Possibly a bad ignition switch. My bets on a bad starter first, then the small starter terminal. I have had BOTH happen to me before in my Gen2's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the starter does not TURN AT ALL, you have to figure out if its the starter or the wiring. Its not uncommon for a Taurus starter to develop a bad spot in the armature. a few whacks with a heavy pipe or such on the starter can sometimes bring it back to life temporarily. there is a small wire going to the starter that control the solenoid to make it run. Sometimes, this push on wire can get dirty, loose it clamp tension , or not have any power at all to it when your trying to start the car. take the wire off and clean it. see if it firmly slides onto the starters lug. if it does not, use a needle nose or such and try to clap the edge of the connector (car side) slightly tighter after you clean it out. Then wack on the starter and see if it starts. If there is still nothing, you need to get a Volt meter and measure the voltage on the small line while someone is trying to start the car inside. disconnect the line from the starter and measure the voltage on it with the key on and on crank position. If you got 12volts, you know you have a starter issue. If you got NO volts, you have a wiring problem of some kind. Possibly a bad ignition switch. My bets on a bad starter first, then the small starter terminal. I have had BOTH happen to me before in my Gen2's.
i've replaced the starter on it, with a starter off of a 1993 gen 2 taurus it was bench tested twice and ran strong both times.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Check the small wire for tension, cleanness and put it back on.
if it still does not work, then do the volt meter test.
That wire can cause it not to spin. Trust me on that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what would be the best way to clean the small wire? I don't want to harm it in anyway.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I like Bob's idea about the starter solenoids Amp Inc snap on spade lug connector. I chased that danged random problem for a couple of years on my 3.8L, before coming to the conclusion that it just didn't fit tight enough to make a good, lasting electrical connection & would cause a random no crank.

Replaced that fancy, but pesky 'squeeze to remove" Amp Inc connector, with an old fashion "friction fit" spade lug connector & a long standing random problem finally solved!!!!!

If you decide to remove the OEM connector to rework it, you have to squeeze the danged thing to unlock & remove it from the solenoids spade lug, you can't just pull it off like a friction fit connector. I had removed mine to rework it & make it fit snug on the lug, but it would just loosen up in a few months & cause mischief all over again.
Don't think Amp had fired the phosphor/bronze contact material to the correct hardness. It just seemed to be about 1/4 hard & needed to be 3/4-Full hard, so that it was more springy & no so soft & malleable.

Anyway, if thats ok, when it acts out & won't crank, try thumping the starter motor & solenoid with a piece of wood & see if it'll wake up.

I like the ignition switch idea too, as my 94's switch is showing signs of wear. So maybe try a thump, or wiggle test on it when tryng to crank the engine. If it suddenly wakes up, suspect the switch.

On the engine sputtering/dying problem, do a fuel pressure check when it acts out. If you don't have a gauge, most autoparts stores have a fuel pressure test gauge kit, for a refundable deposit in their "Loan-A-Tool" program.

It should be at 39 psi, if it's low, pull the fuel pressure regulators vacuum line & check to see if it's wet with fuel inside, if so replace the FPR..
If thats ok, has the fuel filter been replaced lately????

More thoughts for consideration. Let us know what you find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts