Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a good deal from a nice guy who runs a small shop in the aircraft hanger next to mine on a 1994 Ford Taurus with the 3.8 liter V6 engine. It needs a new timing cover and to have that and everything that attaches to it put back in. Also, to clean out the oil pan from crud that dropped in during the removal of the timing cover. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew what a fair price for this part might be? I found one on ebay (the only one) for my 1994 up for $85 plus $18 for shipping. Does that sound fair? I can't wait to get this thing on the road! its a granny car in perfect shape (interior and exterior) with many new engine parts. Has 130k miles but looks new. interior is immaculate and as new carpet. Pics attached for your enjoyment

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean car :)

Let's see some under-hood pics :D
Thanks! under the hood pics coming soon, I am planning a trip back to the hanger where I have the car now in the next few days. I need that timing cover though, might try the classifieds section of the site

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Timing cover

Hey guys, I got a good deal from a nice guy who runs a small shop in the aircraft hanger next to mine on a 1994 Ford Taurus with the 3.8 liter V6 engine. It needs a new timing cover and to have that and everything that attaches to it put back in. Also, to clean out the oil pan from crud that dropped in during the removal of the timing cover. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew what a fair price for this part might be? I found one on ebay (the only one) for my 1994 up for $85 plus $18 for shipping. Does that sound fair? I can't wait to get this thing on the road! its a granny car in perfect shape (interior and exterior) with many new engine parts. Has 130k miles but looks new. interior is immaculate and as new carpet. Pics attached for your enjoyment
I think the cover included the oil pump. Unusual design but also done on Buck V6. You could get one from a junk yard, as these engines were last used in 1995 in Taurus. Lots of work to remove one but these engines are usually laying around. Have to check the oil pump in the housing for damage also. If my memory is ok, :)o) the housing forms the outside of the oil pump for the gears to fit.

Hard engine to work on. Everything mounts on the water pump, which mounts on the big cover.

Of course you would need to do the timing chain and sprockets.

-chart-

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I think the cover included the oil pump. Unusual design but also done on Buck V6. You could get one from a junk yard, as these engines were last used in 1995 in Taurus. Lots of work to remove one but these engines are usually laying around. Have to check the oil pump in the housing for damage also. If my memory is ok, :)o) the housing forms the outside of the oil pump for the gears to fit.

Hard engine to work on. Everything mounts on the water pump, which mounts on the big cover.

Of course you would need to do the timing chain and sprockets.

-chart-
I believe the oil pump is mounted to the timing cover, technically. The oil filter mounts onto the oil pump itself, this sucks on my windstar, since it's sandwiched between the front control arm mount and the converter, there's no way you can change it without making a mess (I'd hate to have to do it when it's hot). The timing cover area isn't very easy to work on in general. Then again, if it needed a new oil pump, it would probably be pretty easy to change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys just an update, I got an email from another member with a 1995 he is parting out and I am getting the cover for $80 shipped which is about the same as one I saw go on ebay. The car should be up and running soon, I plan to grab the tools and the cover one weekend and run to the aircraft hanger and fix it up. Take a couple victory laps around the air strip hehehe. Pics and maybe a video soon, I promise. Just haven't gotten a chance to get out there yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts