Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi:
i have a 93 ford taurus with a transmission Code 624-EPC solenoid or driver circuit failure
both prior to and after my friend rebuilt the transmission. the clutchpack was bad and burnt and the pressure plate was cracked in four places. even after the rebuild we are getting this code once again. when the car is cold it seems to shift fine, but after about five minutes it won't shift at all and just sits there. once we let it sit for about 8 hours it will go back into gear and we are able to drive it a couple of blocks before it
does the same thing again. we replaced the EPC Solenoid prior to the rebuild. any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
frank

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
First of all, if you have a 93, it doesnt have a Duratec.... it has either a 3.0 Vulcan or 3.8 Essex. My guess is a cracked forward clutch piston. Was the tranny rebuilt by somenone who knows the A4XS? What parts were replaced during the rebuild? Cracked forward clutch pistons were very common in the early 90s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, if you have a 93, it doesnt have a Duratec.... it has either a 3.0 Vulcan or 3.8 Essex. My guess is a cracked forward clutch piston. Was the tranny rebuilt by somenone who knows the A4XS? What parts were replaced during the rebuild? Cracked forward clutch pistons were very common in the early 90s.
[/b]

Jeff:
I have a 93 and 98 ford taurus so the profile shows the 98 with the duratec engine. My friend has rebuilt several transmissions and checked the pistons. They showed no sign of cracks or problems. The crazy thing is the car seems to do fine and shift when cold. Then it just loses it's ability to shift in all forward gears and reverse and is as though it is stuck in neutral.
Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts