Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is my car jumping gears in overdrive, when i drive in OD it down shifted on me once, then sometimes comming from a stop it would upshift smoothly, what is causing this, is my tranny shot??? let me know please.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It sounds like your tranny is waving goodbye to you, however it could also be a computer problem. Could anyone shine a little more light on this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i t was happenning in the low gears, usually 2 in to 3rd, i had it checked out and my mechanic couldnt find anything wrong with it, he changed the fluid and filter while he was at it, its been running fine since...........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok heres whats goin on now, im totally lost on this now, i had a problem with my tranny jumping gears, so i had the fluid and filter changed, and so the past few weeks i havent had a problem, but the past couple of days while i was driving it downshifted on me, it didnt drop to nuetral it just downshifted one gear, when i did that i let off the gas and it would pick back up to gear then id drive and it would be fine, on of the times it did that i was crusin on the highway in rhode island and i thought the governor backed me down but im not sure, but the time befor that it was at normal 35- 45 mph and same thing with today..........anyone have any ideas why this is happening or how it could be fixed???

thanks
ralph

G

·
You were in RI? Are you from there? I'm located in North Providence, if I could help out in any way let me know. I'd be glad to take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im from ct, my girlfriend lives in westerly so im there 4-5 days aweek, i just came back home tonight and im heading back tomorrow after work, hell i even have a RI cell phone, id greatly appreciate it if you did take a look at it, even if you gave me bad news atleast i would know what would be wrong at that would put me on the right path to have it fixed, thanks Bob

G

·
Give me a call at work tomorrow, 508 583 3241, ext. 30. I'll be at the garage tomorrow night, which is in Johnston. I can at the very least take a look at it for you. Glad to help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that would be great if you did take a look, what time are you going to be around?? i only ask cause i have to go to an aniversary dinner, but ill be around wednesday, ill give you a call tomorrow, thanks again, this is one of the reasons why tcca is so great

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm no pro, but here's my input.... I knew a fella' with the same problem and even though he was showing no codes, his SPEED sensor was on it's way out. Hope this helps, good luck!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if i find out its not the speed sensor or any other computer problem could it be the torque converter??? if so how do i know for sure and how serious is it to have fixed?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
me too it was me speed sensor and some wiring on the o2 sensor and the speed sensor there was bad a bit

hope this help

G

·
Originally posted by rebj2323@Sep 17 2004, 10:35 PM
if i find out its not the speed sensor or any other computer problem could it be the torque converter??? if so how do i know for sure and how serious is it to have fixed?
Torque converter falings will usually be constanct. Also, it will tend to make the car shidder when accelerating.

As far as the speed sensor, we'll check that on Sunday. I'll read the codes and do a KOER test. We'll check the wiring too. sometimes it's a simple short causing major problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts