Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.0 v6 vulcan will start and idle fine but when I step on gas pedal it kills the engine anyone at all please let me know what you think

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think it's not getting gas (or it's getting too much air). Buy a code reader and see what codes show. Check fuel pressure. Clean the MAF, check the IAC, check the air cleaner, etc., etc. There are videos on YT that show how to do all of the above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's not getting gas (or it's getting too much air). Buy a code reader and see what codes show. Check fuel pressure. Clean the MAF, check the IAC, check the air cleaner, etc., etc. There are videos on YT that show how to do all of the above.
Its getting fuel for sure too much air is possible I will check it out thank you

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Yes, I'd certainly clean the MAF and CAREFULLY clean the IAC: look elsewhere on the forum for IAC cleaning guides. Any check engine light?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Perhaps you can check whether the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is connected. I assume the PCM needs to know you are opening the throttle so it can open the injectors a bit longer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Correction: it is the MAF sensor that allows the PCM to calculate the injector pulse. Besides, a malfunctioning TPS or MAF sensor will probably set an error code right away. So forget what I wrote.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a 1993 vehicle and not OBD II. I am not sure auto supply stores still even carry EEC IV code readers. If the TPS is malfunctioning you will get a check engine light, at least I did. You need to read the codes, if any. You can short two pins on the EEC IV diagnostic connector under the hood at the passenger firewall upper lip and count the flashes on the check engine light, but this is tedious. The web should have details. I am skeptical that a dirty MAF sensor would have this much effect but a spray can of MAF cleaner is cheap. Could be an issue with fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
3.0 v6 vulcan will start and idle fine but when I step on gas pedal it kills the engine anyone at all please let me know what you think
Did this problem come about suddenly after some event???

Use, borrow, or come by a scan tool, or code reader, or choose one of these test methods Ford OBD/OBD2 Codes – TroubleCodes.net to have the vehicle test system blink the vehicle dash CEL, or a 12 volt test lamp flash, or have a analog meter wave, or a 12 volt sounder "beep" any stored trouble code clues & post All code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot. More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts