Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Fronts are 6 1/2 rounds.
rear could be a 5x7 or a 6x8. no matter what size it will probally fit a 6x8 for a replacement.
to replace the front ones take out the screws on the door panel. then pull on the door panel real hard and carfully get it seperated from the door. You should be able to get it from hear.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
use your hands to pry the lovwer part of the panelt out first and work your way around. also get some of the white plastic trim holders.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I got the fronts done perfessionly because the way the wires are if they start cracking i just go back to Max Audio and they fix them. I put Kenwoods in the doors and it cost me 105 with installation. The backs you can easily do yourself if you do. Just pop off the rear speaker grille with a flat head screwdriver, unscrew old speaker, cut off harness, splice the wires and rescrew in. Repeat step for other speaker.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
So are the speakers in the front doors have the wires soldered on or are they removable and plug-and-play with the new speakers? I just got some old NIB Pioneer speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Don't use your hand to remove the panel, or you will break stuff. Instead, spend a few bucks on the cheap panel tool at AutoZone, and use that to remove the panel.
There are connectors on the speakers. You can buy Ford specific connectors for your new speakers that will plug right into the factory harness. :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Is the stock speaker connector just a generic female blade connector? And are the holes/mounting for the speakers spaced 120 degrees apart?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The speaker connectors are all Ford clip-on connectors, at least they were in my '91, and I doubt they changed that much. You may be able to fit 6x9's in the rear, I put 6x9 Kenwoods in the rear on my '91, I had to drill mounting holes but they fit just fine.

Panel tool = good, big screwdriver = bad :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@Aug 30 2004, 11:45 AM
Don't use your hand to remove the panel, or you will break stuff. Instead, spend a few bucks on the cheap panel tool at AutoZone, and use that to remove the panel.
There are connectors on the speakers. You can buy Ford specific connectors for your new speakers that will plug right into the factory harness. :)
I use my hands when working on my car. If your careful it will work fine. There are sharp edges that can cut you though so if your worried about breaking anything or getting cut I would use a tool like racer x suguested. I understand there fairly cheap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't always lean to the DIY way. Sometimes I just pay a professional to do it.
Hats off to those who are skilled DIYs. I tend to mess stuff up if I don't know what path I'm taking while dismantling something.

I've had good luck with Circuit City for my car audio needs. I bought an Alpine unit with some Infinity spkrs awhile ago. Later I had them uninstall it from my old car, which they do for nothing if they installed it. Then went back with my Taurus and paid to get the system put in it. They've got all the ins and outs on just about every vehicle and can tell you upfront what they don't do. Since I had kept the old kit that was used on my old car, they knocked off 5 bucks on the new install.

So, this Taurus has just stepped up a notch in entertainment value BTW. Picked up the Disturbed: Sickness CD while waiting for install. Was out of there in about 45min. Can't beat that. That CD kicks arse. I know it's been out for awhile, so I'm late. :blink:

I was interested in getting a power antenna, but they wouldn't do that.
Said it involved removing the fender.

p.s. I did read this forum, was just jumping in with my 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts