Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 SHO stick shift

It's my brother's, I'm trying to help him with the wiring.

Can anybody tell me why a PO would phuque with the wiring like this?

The white/purple-stripe wire (green arrows) has been cut and spliced into the red/blue-stripe wiring (orange arrows):

On the alarm module thing, there once was a white wire in one of the larger connectors (blue arrow in first pic) - can anybody tell me why this might have been done, too?

And speaking of that alarm module box, the light blue & orange & green wires are no longer connected to anything????

That white/black-stripe with the ring terminal is also part of that same module, it didn't come out of the factory like that.

The electrical problems on this car are many & varied, I'm tryin' to figure out what's been done and why....................

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ford dealer-installed Vehicle Security System on 1993 Taurus SHO

after market alarm?

Bingo. :)

It actually looks to be what is normally a delaer-installed alarm system:

This thing (on my brother's car) wasn't installed at all professionally (excessive use of crappily-installed butt connectors, sometimes just electrical tape on bare copper), I suspect some PO bought it at a parts counter and installed it himself.

Google taught me a little bit about these things, there seem to be different variants depending on vehicle configuration (with keyless entry, without):

Ford Keyless Entry / Alarm - F150online Forums
Help with Ford Vehicle Security System - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Ford Vehicle Security System - Mustang Forums at StangNet

After I removed the thing, THEN I found something of a wire color/connector description in the glove compartment!

This, I later figured out, was originally stuck onto the back of the box.

Here's a picture, I'm purposely leaving the size big so as to aid in readability:

Now, this Taurus I'm working on has got all kinds of electrical issues, I wanted to remove this thing so as to restore the original factory configuration to make troubleshooting easier.

Because I couldn't find much on the 'net about these things, I decided to write here what I learned & did, and hope it'll help somebody else in the future.

--

There was a harness routed from the box (tucked up by the steering column), behind the kick panel, and splices made into the factory door & light circuits down by the parking brake:

There are 7 wires in total, installed as so:

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Black box
wiring                      Factory wiring
=======                     ==============
Orange         --> spliced into the solid brown wire
White          --> spliced into the solid black wire
Black          --> spliced into the black/light-blue-stripe wire[/FONT]
The factory-installed pink/green-stripe and pink/yellow-stripe wires had been cut (leaving 4 ends) to which were attached the following 4 wires from the box:
Code:
wiring                      Factory wiring
=======                     ==============

Pink/green-stripe     --> pink/green to dash
Green                 --> pink/green to rear

Yellow                -->pink/yellow to rear
Pink/yellow-stripe    --> pink/yellow to dash
[/FONT]
--

There was another harness with splices into wires underneath the steering column:

Under the dash, the white/pink-stripe wire had been cut (shown in my first post); additionally, one of the yellow, and the red/green, had merely been tapped into:
Code:
wiring                        Factory wiring
=======                       ==============

Red/blue-stripe        --> white/pink to column
Red                    --> white/pink to engine
Brown                  --> spliced into red/green under column
Black                  --> spliced into one of the thick yellow wires under column[/FONT]
--

There were two wires (red, black) from the box to the engine compartment but ended there, they apparently were for the siren.

--

There was a green, an orange, and a light blue harness connected to the box that at one time went to somewhere or something but they were just stuffed up underneath, connected to nothing.

--

With red, orange, brown & black wires, there was what was apparently a shock sensor attached; this small, black box had a red LED and a small, white rheostat that apparently adjusted sensitivity of the thing.

--

There was a short, white/black stripe with a PO-added eyelet on it but it wasn't connected to anything, I'm gonna guess it was some sort of ground.

--

Two brown wires with a sub-miniature push button were zip-tied to the fuse panel.

--

I obviously removed all this stuff, and patched and/or re-attached the factory wires; that, combined with a new TS flasher, makes the turn & emergency flashers work again, and the parking lights not remain lit 100% of the time. :)

Because google doesn't index the contents of images, I shall type some stuff here that I can read from the sticker/label:

FCC ID: GOH-052-RMTPL
THIS UNIT IS PROTECTED UNDER PATENT 5,049,867
CALL 1-800-FORD-KEY FOR RETURN INFORMATION

Now, to figure out the rest of the electrical & wiring problems.................

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Looks to me like they snatched a factory alarm from another vehicle. Dumb move. I would agree, restore to stock.

Doing this kind of work is fine if the connections are solid. A proper crimp tool should be used for crimped connections, otherwise the connections need to be soldered and sealed in heat shrink tube. Twisted and wrapped connections is asking for trouble. They are not solidly held together, and the connection is not that great, and can get worse over time. I would agree, someone was sloppy and unprofessional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts