Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son was driving his 1993 Sable, it suddenly went "clunk", the warning lights came on, the engine stopped, as did the power steering. It was his late grandmother's car, and it's got about 44,000 on the odometer. We had it towed, but it's the weekend, and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what it could be? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Welcome to TCCA.

Lots of possibilities, so we'll need more clues about what was going on when the "clunk" happened, to make a good guess.

Which engine does the Sable have????

How tight did he have it wound up when it stopped?????

Will the starter motor turn the engine over, or is the engine locked/siezed up???

If the starter will crank the engine, will it Try to start & run????

If the starter will turn the engine over, but it won't try to run, then your lacking, fuel, spark, compression, air, or some combination there-of.

Some thoughts to maybe get you started on your trouble shoot, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pawpaw - It's got the smaller 6 cylinder engine. My son had just gotten gas at an exit on I-75. left the gas station and turned onto the entrance ramp to get back onto the highway. He was maybe half a block past the turn onto the ramp when it all happened. He was doing normal, going-down-the-road sort of driving. The car cranks but it won't start. We've never had any trouble with "Old Blue" and have only put about 10,000 miles on it in the past three years. It had 34,000 on it when it came to us, and my mother had it serviced regularly before that, whether it needed it or not. We change the oil, keep an eye on the levels and remind our son to keep an eye on things like lights on the dashboard (I have another son who has ignored them on his car and suffered the consequences). The day before this happened, I asked him how Old Blue was running, had he checked the oil, were there any warning lights coming on, etc., because I knew he was headed 120 miles away for the weekend. He's definitely not a speed-demon driver. Our other son laughs at him and says he drives just like his grandmother! Could it have been something as simple as a breaking belt?

We were planning to sell it in the next few weeks - darn it!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
A broken drive belt wont cause it to suddenly die. 2 things come to mind.... 1) fuel pump died. This can be checked with a fuel pressure gauge and using the EEC TEST connector to run the fuel pump with the key on. As a quick check, listen at the gas tank and see if you hear the pump run its prime cycle of 1 to 2 seconds when the key is turned on. 2) TFI ignition module and/or PIP generator. Check to see if it has spark. Neither of these would result in a CLUNK, however. While EXTREMELY rare, especially on a low mileage engine is either a broken timing chain or stripped distributor gear. Remove dist cap and crank the engine to see if the rotor turns during cranking.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
OK, good feedback. It sounds like you have the 3.0L pushrod Vulcan engine in the Sable. So it isn't locked up, if the starter motor can crank the engine & this engine uses a timing chain, not a timing belt.

It's known to be a reliable engine, but has a couple of things that tend to be common problem parts.
SO, we need to know if all the dash warning lights come on when you turn the ignition switch from off to run, before you crank the engine, if you have spark & what the KOEO, KOER & leak down fuel pressure numbers are, at the on engine fuel rail schrader valve test port.

Can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds & turn off, when you turn the ignition from off to run, before going to start, to crank the engine?????

Have you raised the hood to see if you can determine what caused the "clunk"?????
If the serpentine drive belt broke, the belt tensioner could make such a noise as it relieved belt tension.
If the serp belt broke, the vehicle would loose power steering, alternator, water pump & A/C, but all that wouldn't cause the engine to die.

Maybe you have more than one problem, so give us some more clues & maybe we can narrow your trouble shoot down some more .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have an answer - what a "duh!"

My son had a disassembled computer desk in the trunk of the car. It bumped a switch that turns off the fuel supply in case of an accident. Switch was reset, car is running - but - it needs a new tie rod end, so we're having that done. I should be thankful that it's something so simple.

·
Registered
697 Posts
:lol2:

Thanks for closing the loop - sometimes people are too proud to admit 'duh' moments.

On another auto board, I asked for help about an interior light that wouldn't come on when the doors were opened.

After getting several very detailed and helpful suggestions, I opened the user's manual to find out that the dome light switch was set to 'off'.

DUH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts