Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Mercury Sable GS and it has about 92,000 miles on it. It sat for approx 2 years when my grandmother passed away. When I took posession of it 3 years ago I noticed a loud hum when driving coming from the rear. To me it sounded like bad wheel bearings but I can not find anything on here about the car even having rear wheel bearings. The hum is still there and drives fine. Its just loud and annoying. I have drum brakes in the rear if that helps.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Wheel Bearing

I have a 1993 Mercury Sable GS and it has about 92,000 miles on it. It sat for approx 2 years when my grandmother passed away. When I took posession of it 3 years ago I noticed a loud hum when driving coming from the rear. To me it sounded like bad wheel bearings but I can not find anything on here about the car even having rear wheel bearings. The hum is still there and drives fine. Its just loud and annoying. I have drum brakes in the rear if that helps.
It has rear wheel bearings and I believe it is old enough to have replaceable tapered rollers. Unlikely to fail unless it has been in water. Tires can make a similar sound.

-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
turns out that the hum is the goodyear aquatred 3 tires. I moved them to the front and now the hum is there. Unreal that a tire can be manufactured to be noisy! There's less than 10,000 on them.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
If they are directional tires and they are put in the wrong direction they can hum as well. I had that happen on an old car that I bought. Turned the tires the right direction and no more hum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts