Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car Specs:
1993 Ford Taurus GL - 3.0L V6

Lately, the car has developed a REALLY strong gasoline smell which seems to be originating in the trunk (or somewhere close to). Anything you put in the trunk will reek of gasoline within minutes of being placed in the trunk. My fiancée is also complaining of headaches after driving the car for more than 15-20 minutes. Without having the windows down, it's really hard to stand being in the car at all! I took out all the carpeting in the trunk area, and felt around, but couldn't feel any leaks around the gas filler, or anywhere else for that matter. There were a couple small wet spots, but they were only water and didn't smell like gasoline at all. We are leaving for a 5 day road trip tomorrow, so I'd like to get this taken care of ASAP!! Please, any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!
Woody

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (swoody @ May 26 2009, 10:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728129
Car Specs:
1993 Ford Taurus GL - 3.0L V6

Lately, the car has developed a REALLY strong gasoline smell which seems to be originating in the trunk (or somewhere close to). Anything you put in the trunk will reek of gasoline within minutes of being placed in the trunk. My fiancée is also complaining of headaches after driving the car for more than 15-20 minutes. Without having the windows down, it's really hard to stand being in the car at all! I took out all the carpeting in the trunk area, and felt around, but couldn't feel any leaks around the gas filler, or anywhere else for that matter. There were a couple small wet spots, but they were only water and didn't smell like gasoline at all. We are leaving for a 5 day road trip tomorrow, so I'd like to get this taken care of ASAP!! Please, any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!
Woody[/b]

you cant drive that car at all until it's fixed. a 5 day road trip is out of the question.. the top of your fuel tank or the filler tube is rotted out.

this is a SERIOUS safety problem..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (svttech76 @ May 26 2009, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728132
the top of your fuel tank or the filler tube is rotted out[/b]
Well I've got the tools, and the willpower. Any ideas on how I can check this out/fix it?

**Edit: Also, after having the car parked in one spot for a while, there's no evidence of anything leaking near the back of the car??

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (swoody @ May 26 2009, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728135
Well I've got the tools, and the willpower. Any ideas on how I can check this out/fix it?
[/b][/quote]

jack the car up and take a good look at the upper part of the tank.. see if you can see where it's leaking.. If not there also check the filler neck tube.. If you still don't see it drop the tank and check the top of the fuel pump..

Installing any of these parts is easy and should not be a problem.. Only area you might want to be careful is the bolts for the tank straps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (svttech76 @ May 26 2009, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728138
QUOTE (swoody @ May 26 2009, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728135
[/b][/quote]

jack the car up and take a good look at the upper part of the tank.. see if you can see where it's leaking.. If not there also check the filler neck tube.. If you still don't see it drop the tank and check the top of the fuel pump..

Installing any of these parts is easy and should not be a problem.. Only area you might want to be careful is the bolts for the tank straps.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, going outside to check it out now. If you come up with any other ideas in the meantime, please feel free to let me know.

I just wanted to mention, though, that there is no evidence of any leaks after having the car parked in one spot for a long time, even after just being driven long distances. So I'm not sure if it's possible to have it leaking gas fumes, but not actual gas??

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (swoody @ May 26 2009, 09:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728135
Also, after having the car parked in one spot for a while, there's no evidence of anything leaking near the back of the car??[/b]
There wouldn't be. The gas will evaporate before you can see it.

Try parking on top of some paper, you might be able to see markings or spots on the paper. Maybe paper with ink so you can see if the ink runs? Or maybe white paper, you'll have an easier time seeing spots.

If it sits for a long time does it smell? Or does it smell while running? That will help you figure out if it's before the fuel pump or after. If it only smells while running, then look for drips while the car is on. (But please don't make a fire....)

I had a gas leak, and it was a rusted out fuel filter. It was outside the car, but I smelled it inside, so just because you smell it in the trunk, doesn't mean it's actually there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (astc @ May 26 2009, 10:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728161
QUOTE (swoody @ May 26 2009, 09:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728135
Also, after having the car parked in one spot for a while, there's no evidence of anything leaking near the back of the car??[/b]
There wouldn't be. The gas will evaporate before you can see it.

Try parking on top of some paper, you might be able to see markings or spots on the paper. Maybe paper with ink so you can see if the ink runs? Or maybe white paper, you'll have an easier time seeing spots.

If it sits for a long time does it smell? Or does it smell while running? That will help you figure out if it's before the fuel pump or after. If it only smells while running, then look for drips while the car is on. (But please don't make a fire....)

I had a gas leak, and it was a rusted out fuel filter. It was outside the car, but I smelled it inside, so just because you smell it in the trunk, doesn't mean it's actually there.
[/b][/quote]

Well unfortunately, it's been raining today, so I'm not going to be able to park it over something to really check for leaks. It's really hard to tell whether the smell is stronger with the car running or not. I pulled the carpet from the trunk, and it smells like it's soaked in gas. I put it in my garage, and a few minutes later my entire garage reeks of gasoline. So it really does smell all the time, but it's hard to say if it may just be from all the interior of the car absorbing the odor, or whether it's leaking gas all the time. It's pretty odd, because you really can't smell any gas fumes from outside/under the rear of the car anywhere, but when you open the trunk, the smell is extremely noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts