Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Thanks for having a great site like this so we can all share information and get what we want out of our Taurus'es.

I have this 1993 Ford Taurus GL with 89,000 miles. So far I got the following done:

- New water pump
- new timing chain
- new spark plugs
- semi-synthetic oil
- new tires
- new shocks

I wanted to see what else can be done to this car to get it a little faster. In my opinion it is pretty slow when merging on the freeway and would like to see if anyone knew of how to increase the power on this car.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i think that was a joke, but i agree. i have a 93 taurus as well. merging on to the highway has never been an issue with me, its tryin to pass someone thats concerns me. there seems to be a long dely between when i press down on the acclerator and when the car begins to increse speed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes it was a joke, but still $450 for Morana's supercharger intake and a junkyard 3.8 SC M90 or GM 3800 S2 M90, little fabrication with the throttle and EEC-IV has some flexibility when it comes to low boost.

Other ideas:

- Underdrive pulleys from SHOSource or StuffForYourRanger
- Trade it whatever wheels you have for lighter ones (Reducing unsprung mass is the most effective means of weight reduction)
- Speaking of weight reduction, don't usually get a flat tire, then discard your spare tire, as well as any other unnecessary junk in your trunk, and car.
- Accel sells a TFI ignition module for slightly better spark.
- MSD sells a TFI ignition coil, I believe Accel does too. If nothing else, it looks better than stock coil and I've found them to be cheaper than OE replacement too.
- IIRC, you can replace the final drive gear and chain in the A4XS to a higher ratio, so acceleration is sharpened.
- I would also remove the upper intake manifold and hand clean it's runners, then reassemble and give the combustion chambers a Seafoam treatment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the engine should be replaced with something better.

Is it easy to replace the engine with a better one?
If so which one is a good one to replace it with?
Is there a "how-to" for changing the engine on these cars?

·
Registered
374 Posts
"Is it easy to replace the engine with a better one?"

- Easy, depends on your definition of easy. If easy involves having the car tore down for two or more days, having access to an engine hoist, leveler and myriad of hand and power tools, then yes. Money and time wise, I don't see where it pays off to swap the engine if your only concern is some slightly sluggish highway acceleration.

"If so which one is a good one to replace it with?"

- The easiest would be to go with a Essex 3.8L V6, the 4.2L V6 crank is a direct drop in for a stroker motor. There is more of a ready aftermarket available for the 3.8L, given it's Mustang application, but from the initial swap, you will still be stuck in the same situation you have now.

Swapping the Continental 4.6L V8 and it's subframe has been done before on a G3/G4. While this gives you all the power you are seeking and the possibility for a metric **** ton more, the Taurus engine bay (For G3/G4) doesn't supply enough room to make this swap feasible for anything other than a trailer queen/show car that will never get maintained.

You also have the option of swapping in the SHO V6, but some people find it's 60K maintenance a daunting task.

"Is there a "how-to" for changing the engine on these cars?"

- Not really, a few threads here in there for particular builds, but no definite how-tos.

- Now for what I am doing for my Taurus. A Vulcan 3.0 is coming out of my Mazda B3000 to make way for the 3.0L SHO engine I have. The Vulcan will not be scrapped, instead if will go on a stand to be built. Numerous Morana parts will be going on it, his heads, his reground cam, his roller rockers and one of his intakes (Still haven't decided whether to leave it NA or go the supercharged route). Want to try and see if the headers they sell for the Ranger can be made to clear in the Taurus' chassis and custom exhaust. The transmission, since it is an AX4N, will get the final drive gear and chain upgrade, as well as a SHOSource lightened torque converter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts