Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just overhauled my 1993 3.0 and know the thing will not start. It will turnover for a second and then it stops. I have to disconnect the battery post for about 3-5 minutes or the lights will not even come on. Everything works fine until I try to start the car. I am thinking it has to deal the position sensor. I am trying to find out why it is not working. Any input thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Ok, this is your second post, and really, you need to figure out if it is indeed a 93 and whether you have a vulcan or a 3.8. YOUR CAR WILL NOT HAVE A DURATEC!!!! Unless it is NOT a 93.

With that said, what do you mean by overhaul?? What exactly was done? Did you perform the work yourself or was it done at a shop? What "position" sensor would you be referring to??? It sounds like you have a hella weak battery OR you have **** that ain't hooked up. No headlights or dim headlights are usually signs of dead or very weak batterys. We don't have any problems helping people out around here, but you've got to supply a little more info, and make it as correct as possible, please. Other than that........

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. This is a 1993 Mercury Sable that has the 3.0 just like the Ford Taurus. I overhauled the transmission because the planetary gear went bad at 198k. I hooked every wire and connection back up. I have double check it with OnDemand 5 program, which I have at the shop. I have tested the battery and it is at 100%. When I had everything back together every thing turned on and worked properly in the car except when I turned the ignition to start from the on position. The starter tries turn over but stops in a second. I believe a solenoid is not opening and allowing current in. I have test the wire from the started to the manual lever position sensor at that seems fine. I have also looked at all the fuses and they seem fine, once I try to start the car the lights and everything in the car does dead. In order to get power back on the car I have to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to allow it to rest. After a few minutes every thing works again until I try to start it again then it is back to square one. I am thinking there must be a wire grounding itself out somewhere but have not found it yet. Any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You really need to see if the battery has a dead cell, hydrometer. The only other thing I could think of would be a pinched wire between the bell housing and the block maybe, since you replaced the trans. Have you made sure the mounting surfaces of the starter and all the grounds are clean and tight?? Check out all that and if it's all ok, then I would have the solenoid checked.

Oh and by the way, REAL men don't necessarily drive trucks, they drive whatever the hell get's them from A to B and back. :lol2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts