Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped the Trans pan and changed the filter/gasket today as it has never been done to my knowledge so I figured it was time with 96K and 17 years on the clock.

I did a search here to build my confidence as reports of stripped bolts and leaking gaskets after re-install were discouraging.

This may be unique to the 1992 year or at most from 1992 to the 1994 model year but my pan bolts were 10mm, not 8mm as I was expecting after searching the forum. Also, the filter design was changed for the AXODE transmission in the 1994 model year which made the filter smaller and it resembles one you would get for an AX4N trans. This change required changing the reverse clutch supply tube support bracket to one that is shorter (the old longer bracket actually helped hold the filter and slid under it). Most filter kits will have this bracket and instructions to do it. I used a Pro-King filter kit from AAP with a rubber gasket that so far hasn't leaked. :x: My factory gasket appeared to be cork and was pretty smashed and deformed when I removed the pan.

Just an FYI for those with older Taurii.... :ford:

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
22 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts