Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a lurker, but never posted anything. I suppose now is the time to come out of the darkness... :evil:

Anyways, I have a first gen 1991 Ford Taurus GL 3.0L V6. It's been in the family for twenty years :wub: and now I'm driving it. I've got a few questions about it.

1. How can I access the headlight bulbs? I opened the hood, but there's just a black panel that goes over the top of the headlights.

2. My hood doesn't have a stand. Is it just my car, or did all first gen Tauruses not have a hood stand?

3. I want to get rid of the side molding. Is it just held on by glue/double sided tape or are there clips that hold it on? I'm not sure if I should even do this since it's 20 years old and the paint behind the molding may be bad...

4. If there's a '1st Gen Rims' photothread, please link me to it! :)

5. If there is any information about removing the pillars/headliner on a G1 Taurus, please link me to it :D

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1) Reach your hand behind the appropriate headlight receptacle. Turn the round holder/plastic holster counterclockwise, then yank the bulb w/wiring attached out of the housing and into viewing range.

2) Your Taurus should have two shocks for the hood, with connection points down on the cowl, and on the hood. At least 86-07 bulls use this, not sure about newer ones. If the hood isn't being held up anymore by them, time to replace them. RockAuto.com is a great resource for parts shopping...just stock up and use the 5% discount code.

3) Side molding is held on with tape. There are mounting/alignment holes behind it FYI.

4) SHO "slicer" style wheels are popular due to how many SHOs were made. They are 16" wheels. "Basketweave" style wheels were an option on the Gen 1s (or standard depending on the trim) and were very popular back in the day.

5) A Phillips screwdriver, a Torx-50 bit, and a lot of patience is all you need to remove the plastic trim. However, this trim is B R I T T L E. You really do have to "massage it" when removing it. There are no clips holding it on, just screws all over the place. The sooner you remove it, the better, as it gets colder, it'll become more brittle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Bull! I was hoping a few more people would be able to chip in, but you hit the nail on the head for most of them. My car does have two 'shocks' that are connected to the hood and inner fender. They don't hold up the hood on its own, I suppose they're just worn out.

As for the side molding, I suppose I'll have to leave it on :(

I've looked into getting the SHO slicer rims but I sort of want to go for a larger rim, probably a 17" or 18" 5-spoke rim similar to this:

These are 17"

And thanks for the info on the brittle trim! I'm glad that it's all just screws. I suppose the pillars will pull out easily after all the screws are undone. The interior of the car is in excellent shape, but the headliner has a lot of small holes in it. Hopefully removing it won't be too difficult.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'd be weary of using anything too much larger...additional wear on the hub, and if you have stock suspension, you'll be bottoming out, had rubbing issues, etc.

Even with the screws removed, it is still a PITA.

TIP: Pop off the plastic covers and remove the highest mounted seat belt bolt (torx). Then remove the trim piece. There's a screw behind it that holds down the trim.

I'm fortunate that the prior owner of my wagon took great care of the trim, so there's only two small cracks in the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where would I go to find any performance part for this model of the Taurus. I recently bought a 1991 Taurus GL 3.0 V6. It is extremely clean. and I don't really think it needs aesthetic work, just a little more... power. I'm not used to driving something this slow(no offence, I usually drive my parents Pontiac g6 GT or Chevy Trailblazer)

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Fuzzy.... just enjoy your car as it is. Performance parts are nearly non existant, and those that are will be expensive or must be fabbed by owner. I am not even sure if someone makes UDPs for the G1 cars. Be aware that your tranny is one of the most trouble prone ones ever put in a Taurus, and adding significantly more power will just hasten its death.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fuzzy.... just enjoy your car as it is. Performance parts are nearly non existant, and those that are will be expensive or must be fabbed by owner. I am not even sure if someone makes UDPs for the G1 cars. Be aware that your tranny is one of the most trouble prone ones ever put in a Taurus, and adding significantly more power will just hasten its death.
The tranny was rebuilt about 5 years ago. It needs a tune up. Needs oil change. some kind of gas cleaner stuff, It sat in storage for a year with no maintenance. Needs a new CV joint on the driver front. its only for getting back nd forth from college and after that, i'll go import :p

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
The tranny was rebuilt about 5 years ago. It needs a tune up. Needs oil change. some kind of gas cleaner stuff, It sat in storage for a year with no maintenance. Needs a new CV joint on the driver front. its only for getting back nd forth from college and after that, i'll go import :p
:pat:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What the heck is up with the younger generation...they think imports and Priuses are cool...aye caramaba!

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
:jacked:
At least the OP isn't spouting such nonsense... Now, pulling the headliner is a tricky business unless you don't intend to replace it.

You can pull and fold and pretty much destroy it to get it out, but getting a new one in requires removing either the back window or the windshield if you don't have a wagon. I would personally wait until the car needs a new windshield anyways and then slip in the new headliner at that time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honestly, I like Subaru. It's wouldn't be like one of those rice burners with the stage 3 exhaust. They're annoying. Just because I say import doesn't me I'll be like that. I do like some American cars, mainly Ford. and Pontiac GTO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd be weary of using anything too much larger...additional wear on the hub, and if you have stock suspension, you'll be bottoming out, had rubbing issues, etc...
Oh, I didn't know about this. I suppose I'll have to give the rims more thought then...

I'm fortunate that the prior owner of my wagon took great care of the trim, so there's only two small cracks in the entire vehicle.
There's absolutely no cracks in this car, it's extremely clean on the inside. Only thing is the headliner...

Agree. That is approaching classic status. Best to keep it original, keep it clean, maintain it.

Just my opinion.

-chart-
I thought only the SHO would become a classic. You reckon my SLOW will be one as well? :p But then again the first gen Taurus did quite a lot for the motor industry... People make fun of the car, but I really don't care. It has a lot of sentimental value. Do you all think this will become a classic?

What the heck is up with the younger generation...they think imports and Priuses are cool...aye caramaba!
I abhor imports... :angry: And don't even get me started on the hybrids. If the people who buy hybrids actually cared about the environment, they would have bought a diesel.

:jacked:

At least the OP isn't spouting such nonsense...
Thank you for noticing that! And Fuzzy don't jack my thread to talk about Japanese cars! :angry:

Now, pulling the headliner is a tricky business unless you don't intend to replace it.

You can pull and fold and pretty much destroy it to get it out, but getting a new one in requires removing either the back window or the windshield if you don't have a wagon. I would personally wait until the car needs a new windshield anyways and then slip in the new headliner at that time.
Thanks for this information... The only thing bad about the inside is the headliner. It's not even that bad, but it has a lot of really small holes that just annoy me. I thought after removing the pillars the headliner would come out. Guess not... :(

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wait Tyler...is that true? You can't get a headliner out of a sedan without removing the glass? You couldn't just gut the seats/console and shimmy it out w/o flexing the backerboard?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for noticing that! And Fuzzy don't jack my thread to talk about Japanese cars! :angry:

I placed American in there. It's what I plan on doing. It's what I like. It's what I grew up around. Not being a smartass or anything. But I prefer them and I'm got this because it was a decent price that my dad would mostly buy. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts