Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1991 Ford Taurus Sho, and I'm trying to bypass the factory amplifier with a new amp. I have never done this before, so I have no idea what I am doing.

I am trying to get the power cable from the amp through the firewall, but am not sure where to go through, or how to get it through.

I think I have found an unused grommet behind the brake pedal.
It sorta looks like this
http://www.caplugs.com/SupplyImages/...p_Enlarged.jpg

Is that correct?

So I just puncture a hole in that and push a wire hanger all the way through to the other side, and pull the power cable through that way?

And if that's right, will it be fairly easy to get the hanger all the way through, or will I have trouble finding the other end?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i think crutchfield has some online videos to help you out, if not try youtube.
if you hook things up in the wrong order you could fry your amp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not actually hooking up the amp that I'm having issues with, It's finding a way to get the power through the firewall. I've seen a lot of explanations for newer taurus', but I'm new at this and not entirely sure what to do.. All the usual grommets are full of wires, so I don't think i can get the power through them, so i've located an unused grommet. But I've never done this, so I don't know how to get the wire through it.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i use a razor to slice a small hole and feed it through. locate the grommet on the inside of the firewall under the dash and make sure there is nothing in the way first. i feed it from inside to the engine bay because its less to push through. using a lube helps so the wire passes through without pulling the grommet out. use zip ties to keep it tucked up and out of the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Is the end in the engine compartment a straight shot from under the dash? or does it snake around?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
not sure. you have to route it to keep it way from moving parts and heat. keep in mind the hood has to close also. zip tie will be you friend. not the little white ones. use the big black one. they hold up better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, excellent. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if I can't get it pulled through.

Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, will do.. I'm going to take pics from start to finish as a guide for if I ever need to do this again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I've gotten through the firewall, that was easier than I thought it would be. But now I am having issues getting through the door grommet, simply because it isn't all rubber. One side is plastic and mounted to the door, and a rubber hose comes out of that and enters the car. What do I do here?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
16 Ga. Speaker wire. But rather than it being a rubber door boot, it has a large plastic cylinder attached to the door, and on the bottom of that, a rubber hose that connects to the car. I've tried running a hanger through it, but its so tight, and its impossible to get through the angle of the plastic cylinder. I'll try to get a picture of it.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the speaker wire gets fed through the rubber boot. it is a pain so most people dont do it. they feed it through the door panel ( which i hate )

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i didnt think they had that setup on the 91s. pop the top on the plastic. there should be a little room to work. a pick works good to fish the wire out of the bottom of the boot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay. How do I pop the top off of it? There is a big bolt on top, is that the only one i need to remove? or do i need to remove the little bolt that holds it to the door as well?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
try the clip on the front. if its doesnt come off easily after unclipping then remove the bolt. if you remove the bolt to the door it gives you a little room to manipulate the assembly and should make it easier,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, i got the speaker wire through, but now i've run into an issue... the power locks dont work anymore.. The driver side I had little issues getting the wire through, but on the passenger side I struggled all the way through, and when i pulled the wire out, there was some tape from before that came with it. Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay scratch that. The power windows, power locks, power side mirrors, and speedometer don't work, and now my vehicle is making a squeeling noise when I drive it. I must have screwed up bad..

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
its possible that you pulled the wire out or exposed it. check the fuse for the power locks if its not working at the other doors, if its just that side trace the wires and see where the disconnect is. if the wires are intact its possible it broke inside the insulation. a dmm is needed to test for the open circuit so you know what to replace.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts