Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a 1990 Taurus with VAPS steering which first had almost zilch assist when turning right. The R&P had a bad leak on one end so I got a NAPA rebuild and replaced it. That fixed it for about a week or so and then it did the same NO assist turning right.

Napa gave me a replacement which fixed it again. This second go around I also replaced the pump for good measure, plus I flushed all the lines before putting the replacement on. Now after about 3 weeks it did it again but this time No assist turning left.

Is this bad rebuilds on NAPA's part or it it something else??

It's getting a little old since that sucker isn't all that easy to replace.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Vaps doesn't help that much, put the car in neutral and rev it to 2k and try turning the wheel, if you can then your pump is shot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I stated, I replaced the pump before putting in the warranty replacement and no, 2k to 3k rev don't help one bit. Setting still, I can turn left with 1 finger but turning right, it takes both hands and some mussel as in manual steering

·
Registered
93 Posts
my 92 has the same problem.. the fix: air pressure
my front tires lose air faster than I'm used to.. when they're under 28psi the steering is fine driving down the road. trying to turn the wheel at a standstill.. well it's a fight.
with 36psi in the tires everything's fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had this issue crop up with my 92 Sable w/variable assist. Turned out my control motor for the system was bad in addition to a leaky rack( the lack of assist one way was probably due to some sort of blockage in the hydraulics for that side). Since Ford no longer produces the control motor assembly and none could be had that I could find...I had my 92 converted to a standard non variable assist rack and pinion. Both are listed in the parts catalog at any parts store. It bolted up just fine and works great(the lines bolt up opposite of the variable assist rack though..I found that out first hand) It drives wonderfully now. It drove horribly before, but I have no experience to speak of, of how it drove when the variable assist was working properly...as this was an inherited problem when I purchased the car. I know this post is several months old, but this info could help someone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts