Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 1990 taurus, i have to push the brake pedal down REALLY far before the brake lights come on, so in other words, they dont come on when braking normally, unless i put them to the floor, how do you adjust the brake light switch and wich one is the switch, the one with the vacuum hose going to it or the other one?
thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The switch for the brake lights is on top of the pedal. It's a small box with wires going to it. Take it off and spray it with WD-40 and jiggle the switch a little bit. If that doesn't work, just replace it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, like i say, it works, it just doesnt kick the brake lights on until the pedal is almost to the floor, it should kick them on when the pedal is pressed in lightly..

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
It should come on when the pedal is barely pressed, but there is something wrong with the switch because of all the extra effort required to get the lights on.

G

·
Also, this is one case where I'll use nothing but the Ford part. A few years back, I did the switch on my Cougar with one from Autozone, and had the same problem. Turns out it was the right part, however the spring was too heavy to activate the lights correctly. The Ford part was only a couple dollars more than the AZ one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts