Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got an interesting opportunity.
My neighbors down the road have parted out a 1990 Mustang and are selling the front two seats (which are in great condition) for 140$ in total. They look really nice, definitely caught my eye and my curiosity.

What I want to know is, it even possible to swap out the original seats from my 1997 GL with these? I mean imo they'd look really nice, but if it'd be impossible to install them then... oh well.

They're power seats too, and of course mine... aren't. They're selling the seats with the bracket and everything.

I've got my head in the clouds over these things so this is where you fellows come in! :lol2:
What do you all think is, realistically, the chances of these fitting into the Taurus?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
On the original Mustang brackets? 0 chance. The bolt pattern is likely totally different. With that said, if you're feeling adventurous, it might be possible to swap the Mustang seat base and backing onto a Taurus seat base. You won't know until you try though. The only seats that I know will fit are Lincoln Continental seats. As far as the power goes, your car is almost assuredly wired for power driver seat, but probably not power passenger. You'd have to check that. If the Mustang has power lumbar though it might require some fiddling and custom wiring.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the original Mustang brackets? 0 chance. The bolt pattern is likely totally different. With that said, if you're feeling adventurous, it might be possible to swap the Mustang seat base and backing onto a Taurus seat base. You won't know until you try though.
That's kinda what I figured I might have to do. They look to be roughly the same width though, so I doubt that the actual seat itself wouldn't fit. The bracket was really what I was worried about.

That being said, what do you mean when you say swapping the base/backing onto the Taurus base? Like taking the brackets off the Mustang seats and putting the seats onto the Taurus' brackets?
Hmm. This sounds like a bit of a challenge, but I like a challenge :lol:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You would be surprised. My dad just put the front seats out of a 1999 Cavalier convertibe into his 1993 Chrysler LeBaron convertible and they fit. Im sure he had to do some "custom fabrication" but they're in the Chrysler and work just as they should

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
So, I've got an interesting opportunity.
My neighbors down the road have parted out a 1990 Mustang and are selling the front two seats (which are in great condition) for 140$ in total. They look really nice, definitely caught my eye and my curiosity.

What I want to know is, it even possible to swap out the original seats from my 1997 GL with these? I mean imo they'd look really nice, but if it'd be impossible to install them then... oh well.

They're power seats too, and of course mine... aren't. They're selling the seats with the bracket and everything.

I've got my head in the clouds over these things so this is where you fellows come in! :lol2:
What do you all think is, realistically, the chances of these fitting into the Taurus?
I found a really nice driver's seat for my '03 Sable at the JY, perfect match. $40. If I was so inclined to do more I could have had the mate power pas seat but mine is really good, driver's not so much. The wires down there are complicated. On the G-4 the air bag is managed by a sensor in the seat. It knows your position/weight or something. Not sure about the G-3. Airbag sensor connectors are yellow.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The wires for the airbag under the front seats are part of the Personal Safety System. Only on gen 4. Gen 3 seats should be easier to swap out in that regard

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
That's kinda what I figured I might have to do. They look to be roughly the same width though, so I doubt that the actual seat itself wouldn't fit. The bracket was really what I was worried about.

That being said, what do you mean when you say swapping the base/backing onto the Taurus base? Like taking the brackets off the Mustang seats and putting the seats onto the Taurus' brackets?
Hmm. This sounds like a bit of a challenge, but I like a challenge :lol:
When I say swapping the base, I mean the metal attachment point to the vehicle. You'll have to see if the Mustang seat bolster and cushion will bolt to the base the same, or fabricate your own mounts (which depending on your skill level probably wouldn't be that hard, the steel isn't very thick).

As for the seat sensors, I don't think Gen 3 had the position sensor that determines driver airbag strength so all you'll need to bring over is the pre tensioners and harness.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So did you attempt the swap?

I recently purchased the middle and back row out of Windstar - they had been removed when the van was new as it was used only for cargo. The seats were 10+ years old but were in "new" condition. I built new bases for the middle row captains and installed them in my son's 1990 Bronco - the original Eddie Bauer seats had taken a beating and needed new covers and padding to make them decent - about $400+ if they could find the covers. For $50 and a lot of my time I now have seats that are probably better than what it had new while matching the rest of the interior fairly close in color. At some point I'll replace the back seat when I build a new base for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
SamH
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing