Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to find a thread on exactly this, So I thought I'd post something as I am going out of my mind. If there is one, Please, please let me know.

Our '90 is at it again. Ran like crap, and the cap and rotor were burnt so I replaced them, the plugs and the wires. Runs great for about 10 minutes and then starts to idle a little rough, then goes to hesitating from takeoff, then hesitating all the time. Runs like a brand new car right before the hesitation begins. Everything is tight, used higher end parts, and I'm just at a loss. She never dies, always gets me home but not happily like before. ANY ideas?

Randy

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Could be a number of thigs.

Do you have a CEL lit????

Where is the vehicle on all past & present due scheduled maintenance items, like air & fuel filters, pcv valve, ect & whos ignition parts were used????

Does this hesitation happen in closed, or open loop, or both????

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
If you used ANYTHING but Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum plugs, I'd try that first. Taurii HATE anything but, trust me on this.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I haven't been able to find a thread on exactly this, So I thought I'd post something as I am going out of my mind. If there is one, Please, please let me know.

Our '90 is at it again. Ran like crap, and the cap and rotor were burnt so I replaced them, the plugs and the wires. Runs great for about 10 minutes and then starts to idle a little rough, then goes to hesitating from takeoff, then hesitating all the time. Runs like a brand new car right before the hesitation begins. Everything is tight, used higher end parts, and I'm just at a loss. She never dies, always gets me home but not happily like before. ANY ideas?

Randy
Check fuel pressure, check distributor for shaft wobble and/or pickup damage. TFI modules are trouble on 80s/early 90s Fords too but they generally fail on restart after a hot soak. And don't use Bosch plugs as mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts