Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've posted, but I had to tell you about my recent shade tree experience. Last weekend my pump wouldn't work once it was warm, cold it started fine and running showed 35 lbs at the fuel rail. Never the less, I believed it to be thee pump and decided to replace it. $100 at Autozone and I was under the car trying to remove the tank for the install.

After nearly 2 hours and no luck even with my impact wrench, I was lost at what to do. I live in CA, but the car spent most of it's life in Ohio and the corrosion is a reminder of just how rough the simplest jobs can be. Remembering about a few people that replaced their fuel pump through the floor, I thought I'd try that route. I did an internet search and found a guy that posted pics and a short description. Carefully with my 4" grinder, i cut a hole in the floor under the rear seat, removed and installed the pump and put the seat back in.

20 minutes after I started, i was done and the car runs perfect. Don't hesitate to go this route if your tank is difficult to remove. When cutting, just don't cut deep as there is wires and hoses close to the underside. I only cut three sides and pried the thin metal up, then duct taped it back in place adding a piece of rubber I had along with the insulation and carpet that covered it.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Thanks, rudedog! Googling on "cut floor taurus fuel pump" didn't return it in the first 4 pages, where I began wading into things like where to buy a Mazda fuel pump and such unrelateds as "Ford spark plug always in stock" (??)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, that's the link, worked perfect.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I would think so - the tank is still straight under there. I haven't seen a template like there is for the G1/2 though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (rudedog @ Apr 13 2009, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717426
It's basically the same, I did a genIII but got the measuring swapped. Make all your measurements FROM the passengers side door "lip" as stated in the directions.[/b]
yes, that's right, passenger side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys new guy here. First I own a 1990 GL wagon with 92k.

So I found this on my search and my question if anyone has done it on a wagon?

·
Registered
93 Posts
there's one small catch to this..
for some of us with the broken electrical plug connector, such as mine..
I rely very heavily on that piece of metal being there and being there perfectly.
I have a few pieces of folded cardboard acting as a gap to keep the connector in place.
My only reason for this is because receiving part of this connector on the gas tank is thin plastic and essentially has disapeared.
I can get the plug for the harness, but can't get it for the tank.
Not a big deal, for the meantime.. I discovered this when I swapped the 15 gallon to the 18 gallon... the bigger tank had the same issue... but the connector is locked in place..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts