Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1990 taurus with the 3.0 vulcan, always ran great, but lately its running bad, when accelerating, it jerks and pops(backfires) out of the air intake, acts just like an old carburated vehicle does when the carb is just waaay too lean and it pops out of the carb, it keeps getting worse as the days go on, it idles ok and all, but just while accelerating any it jerks and pops. It has 97K on it.. It doesnt pop a lot, mostly jerks, but will indeed pop, just acts to me like a lean carburator on an older vehicle..also, the last 2 days in a row, when ive went out in the morning the battery was completely dead, i doubt the 2 problems are related, just was hoping someone might know what might be going on with this thing..I was thinking maybe the fuel pump was dying on it, i know usually they just quit, but thought maybe the bushings in it were getting sloppy causing it to not get the fuel it needs. I thought for sure it was the fuel filter, but i changed it and saw no difference..any ideas guys?
thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
First thing I'd do is get any trouble codes read that might be in the computer.

Do you have an Service Engine Soon or Check Engine light?

Even if there are no codes stored, this in itself is useful information.

·
Registered
285 Posts
DIY test of EEC-IV

You will find your diagnostic connectors on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment, if you want to take a run at this yourself.

Since you have a Check Engine, or SES light, you simply have to jumper the connectors and watch the flashes of the light.

Although the light isn't on, there may very well be a code set that relates to EGR, the evap system, or who knows what else. This test will get us pointed in the right direction.

BTW, it's my understanding that any codes that come up in KOEO (Key On Engine Off) are the "hard codes", which means a hard fault that must be corrected before the other two series of codes (KOER, Key On Engine Running, and Continuous) have any validity.

Jumper the connector and turn the key "on" without starting the engine: The KOEO codes will be displayed. They will go by twice. Then there will be a short flash, and that's the signal that the Continuous codes are running.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
hummm dont know if this is gonna help but on mine it was a bad spark plug wire so check those out wire and spark plug

mi card was ok and then it was runnig really badly and for no reason it was the wire :p oh and my wire where brand new for a 3 week old so you never know

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I'd either say timing chain, timing, or it needs a good tuneup

normally a backfire it caused by, like was said, a lean condition or valve timing way off

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
:withstupid:

Sounds like one of the above. You might try using premium and see if that helps. It might give an indication of what the problem could be (if it gets better with premium, it could very well be a timing issue).

But maybe a plug isn't firing right. Any chance you took the plug wires off and back on and didn't put one in the right spot?

-Dan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
acts like its missing, i did the diagnostics test, only getting codes 74 and 52 wich make no sense, should be getting codes about it running lean or rich or missing or something, shouldnt have anything to do with these 2 codes, but thats all i got. I went through all the tests, koeo, continuous, and running..

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
52 X X X Power steering pressure switch always open or closed

74 X Brake On/Off switch not actuated during the Dynamic Response Test.

so, your EEC system is fine, it eans that during the begining of the self test, you didn't turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and press on the brake pedal

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
If it acts like it's missing, I'd recheck the firing order like Dant98 Said, and check the timing as well, that'd give you an idea of that is going on, you can go dwon to autozone to borrow a timing gun

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it running right finally, turns out it was a freakin plug wire!! weird because i just changed them a year and a half ago..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by 1990@Jul 4 2004, 01:23 PM
acts like its missing, i did the diagnostics test, only getting codes 74 and 52 wich make no sense, should be getting codes about it running lean or rich or missing or something, shouldnt have anything to do with these 2 codes, but thats all i got. I went through all the tests, koeo, continuous, and running..
When doing KOER, there should have been a short pulse that was your que to hit the brake pedal and move the steering wheel.

That way, the EEC can see the operation of the brake switch and the PSPS (Power Steering Pressure Switch). Then these codes don't pop up.

Well, looks like you've got one problem solved, anyway! :banana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts