Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a shop replace the rear main seal and after 2 weeks it started leaking. they just just changed it again and last night i drove the car and this morning saw a few spots on the ground with a little smoke from under the hood. I know they actually changed the seal because i saw them remove the tranny/subframe. what would cause the seal to go so fast?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you have to much oil in the motor, that can blow a seal. I don't know what kind of a mechanic you have working on your car, but they may not be the best mechanic. Hopefully he is using quality parts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the first time around they put a aftermarket seal. this time they said it was one from the dealer. i have the car running outside to let the engine get hot and see if there is a puddle underneath. the oil that fell last night could either be power steering or motor oil. def not red like tranny.

I would have thought a job like this is like changing plugs- theres only one way it can go in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well engine running hot and idling for 20 mins i saw a little drop on the road.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How do you know the problem was the main seal? Maybe it's coming from higher up? You can't really tell where the leak originates on the rear of the block when the transmission is connected. There's no way a new seal starts to leak that quickly, unless the crankshaft is badly scored or crankcase pressure is very high because of a plugged PCV system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the back of the block is dry when i looked at it, and when i went to the shop they put it on the lift and saw it coming from the main seal, i doubt they were happy to do the same job twice for only one payment.

I think you`re onto something with the plugged pcv, being that i never touched anything on the pcv system, alot of the parts on the car are original, you think swapping the pcv valve out with a new one should help? the hoses look fine, but who knows what the insides of the hoses look like

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
You cant tell a leak is coming from the rear main just by putting the car on a lift! You can tell there is a drip from the separator plate / inspection cover, but you can tell for sure where it is coming from.

WJC basically said it all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.