Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Sable wagon 90,000 mi
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 1987 Sable which was 1 owner till last year. I had a chance to put it on a lift yesterday. It is absolutely rust free after living through 35 years of Kansas City salt. I am not sure if it was driven much in winter. The car was rustproofed when new. I am not sure what kind was used but I don't think it was zeebart. The stuff is still soft and pliant (it was a warm 90 degree day) and sticky! My brother had to park a Taurus because the trunk lid rusted off it and that was 20 years ago. I know some dealers didn't like rustproofing because they said it got brittle, cracked and trapped moisture. Not the case with this stuff. I had the windshield replaced and the techs were amazed that there was not even any surface rust in the channel where the windshield sat. There was no coating there but it still looked like new. I hope to post pictures at a later date

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the document. It was SuperSeal and was provided by larger Ford dealerships. This car was undercoated by Fred Smith Ford/Mercury in Independence. Car was undercoated the same month it was built according to the card. Lifetime warranty. I think the car has outlived the company.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the pics. The kid that owned it for 11 mo wacked the back bumper. THe owner was a smoker. Still trying to get the smoke smell out of it. WOrse is that there are a few tiny ash divots in the seat fabric. No big holes, just tiny dots. Too bad otherwise the interior looks new.

Attachments

·
Registered
05 Taurus SE
12 Posts
Here are the pics. The kid that owned it for 11 mo wacked the back bumper. THe owner was a smoker. Still trying to get the smoke smell out of it. WOrse is that there are a few tiny ash divots in the seat fabric. No big holes, just tiny dots. Too bad otherwise the interior looks new.
Beautiful shape. You mentioned the coating is not hard, it's still soft. That's what made me think of cosmoline. I did a Google search for SuperSeal, didn't find anything except for a water based acrylic foundation sealer. I live in salt country, I'm allways on the lookout for rust preventive stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found mention online of the Superseal company. There is such a name in NY but the mailing address for this was Detroit and the article (1985)mentioned Ford dealers used it. I had to replace the fuel filter which was original and and a suspension part. That stuff was still a sticky goo, although the temp that day was 90+. The local ford dealer didn't believe in undercoating, but I think he was referring to the thick stuff that also served as sound deadener. That did set up hard and it would crack and allow moisture to get trapped under it. This is definitely not that. It is very thin but it sure worked. I am not sure this guy ever drove it in the snow as not even the uncoated parts, like the brake hose fittings had very much rust. As for cosmoline, the only kind I ever worked with was the clear coating that came on auto parts. It looks like they have a black coating as well. I think zbart used the thick sound deadener on the bottom and a clear coating everywhere else. This is tar colored all over...I know as to change the fuel filter we unplugged the inertia switch. The black goo was back there too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found out the original owner wasn't a smoker or didn't smoke in the car. All that yellow and the few ash divots were all accumulated in the year the kid owned it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts