Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been discussions of this never-seen variation of the first-year Taurus but no photos that I can recall. Here's a shot from the 1986 factory brochure. Listed as "Louvered black grille with Ford oval in center" in the features and options list.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Heard of it but never seen one. Another fun fact, the Hollander software at work list the 1986 -1988 Taurus as having optional front door vent glass. The side mirrors on this option is mounted to the sheetmetal below the window, similar to the early Tempo. Never seen those either.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That's a rare one. I don't even think they do aftermarket ones of those.

Would look good on a SHO.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a rare one. I don't even think they do aftermarket ones of those.

Would look good on a SHO.
So rare I don't think they ever sold one with this grille. I've never seen one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There have been discussions of this never-seen variation of the first-year Taurus but no photos that I can recall. Here's a shot from the 1986 factory brochure. Listed as "Louvered black grille with Ford oval in center" in the features and options list.

I've never seen this grille either, but I do recall that the first gen police package cars (at least those are the only ones I've ever seen that come with it) had horizontal slats between the Ford logo, and the turn signals. I've seen people add this grille, and it adds an interesting look to the car.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The 86-87 Base L could be had with manual mirrors. No power - they are on eBay last I saw. Weird looking grill. PoPo grill looks better.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a Gen 1 equipped with this basic grille or with the vent windows? Any proof that they actually survived for normal production, or was it some kind of preliminary feature that got cancelled by the accounting or marketing team first?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a Gen 1 equipped with this basic grille or with the vent windows? Any proof that they actually survived for normal production, or was it some kind of preliminary feature that got cancelled by the accounting or marketing team first?
I can only find one grille part number listed for 1986-1988 in Ford's parts database. Same thing with the front windows.

My father bought an '86 L new. It was as stripped as it could be, including the manual mirrors, but still had the solid grille.

Unless proven otherwise, I think it's pretty safe to assume that these items never saw production.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,074 Posts
Wonder if there's any preproduction prototypes floating around. Like the gold headlights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,074 Posts
Okay, so in Taurus: The Making of the Car that Saved Ford, pg 243, it talks about how some marketing research showed they should put that grille in the lower models (probably to help appeal to the LTD crowd, the ones who wanted the dated look). Veraldi said they weren't going with it, and that the research was wrong, so they didn't go with it.

This was between February and July 1985 (shortly before Job 1), so they would have had pre-production cars out and that shot would probably have been for the research team, or just an early proof-reading brochure.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
The solid grille was a big point of contention. Many, many people thought it would be the death of the car and the company. We all know how that turned out. Even once both plants were online, Ford could barely keep up with production.

The only part number showing up in Ford's database is E6DZ-8200-A, which is the solid 1986-1988 grille. The E6 first two digits would signify that the part was first used on a 1986 model. The third and fourth digits being DZ which signifies the part being for a Taurus. 8200 is Ford's part number for a front grille. The A is the revision. There is no B. The lack of any other parts in the database would lead me to believe that this was a one off made just for market research or to shut somebody up. Even if just a few were made, it would have been issued a part number if it had been made at any of Ford's part facilities or by a vendor.

·
Premium Member
2005 Mercury Sable LS Platinum Edition
2,685 Posts
I will have to check out the part number for the Gold headlights, if there is any.

It relates to this thread being that if prototype headlights had a part number, a prototype grille likely had one too.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Just a bit of information on Hollander Ebook. Only one part # is shown for the grill from '86 - '88 Taurus, got a few obsolete numbers on the front vent assemblies.

1986 - 1988 Taurus / Sable door glass front, w/vent.
Part # FDE6DZ5421410C R (right side) tinted $118 obs
NG DD6964 R $131 obs

Part # FDE6DZ5421411C L (left side) tinted $118 obs
NG DD6965 L $131 obs

1986 - 1988 Taurus / Sable door vent glass, front.
NG DV6962 R $154 obs
NG DV6963 L $154 obs

1986 - 1988 Taurus / Sable side view mirror, power; w/vent window
Part # FD E6DZ17682E (Right) $121 obs
Part # FD E6DZ17682F (Left) $121 obs

1986 - 1988 Taurus / Sable door; w/vent window
Part # FD E6DZ5420125B (Left) $413 obs
-Didn't look up right door-

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here's a slightly better picture. Also, check out that hood (Yes, that's factory but a prototype). This picture is Circa 1986.

-Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can only find one grille part number listed for 1986-1988 in Ford's parts database. Same thing with the front windows.

My father bought an '86 L new. It was as stripped as it could be, including the manual mirrors, but still had the solid grille.

Unless proven otherwise, I think it's pretty safe to assume that these items never saw production.
Some had AM radios only!
What does that look like?

Also, the MT5s looked like later SHOs, sans window surrounds. Like Sierras.
josh :)

In the photo above me, notice NO right-hand mirror, the SHO-like windows (not the normals).
I have a popular mechanics 86 taurus prototype spy shot from jim dunne with WHITEWALLS!

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
This is the only picture I could find online. It's not great, but this is what the '86 AM only radio looked like.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thank you!

[/QUOTE]

A rarity! OMG!!!!!!!!

The '86 L listed at 9645, under 10k. only taurus under 10k.
1 mirror only. and manual left mirror.
am radio
flight bench
heater, no AC!
2.5L HSC
3-speed auto

Probably no black window treatments/accents, so it looked like an '89 sho sans side skirts and bbs wheels.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
The '86 L listed at 9645, under 10k. only taurus under 10k.
1 mirror only. and manual left mirror.
am radio
flight bench
heater, no AC!
2.5L HSC
3-speed auto

This pretty much describes my Dad's '86 L exactly. I can't recall if it had one or two exterior mirrors, but the adjustment was manual. It was white with the grey bumpers and the solid 14" hubcaps. Even as stripped as it was, it was a spaceship compared to the LTD he traded in on it. It was certainly the coolest car in the neighborhood when he bought it. Everybody wanted to come check it out.

He installed a Radio Shack, shaft style, analog AM/FM cassette player at some point shortly after he bought it. The OE AM radio sat on a shelf in the garage for years. I wish I knew what happened to it. We moved a lot after that so it probably got chucked at some point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This pretty much describes my Dad's '86 L exactly. I can't recall if it had one or two exterior mirrors, but the adjustment was manual. It was white with the grey bumpers and the solid 14" hubcaps. Even as stripped as it was, it was a spaceship compared to the LTD he traded in on it. It was certainly the coolest car in the neighborhood when he bought it. Everybody wanted to come check it out.

He installed a Radio Shack, shaft style, analog AM/FM cassette player at some point shortly after he bought it. The OE AM radio sat on a shelf in the garage for years. I wish I knew what happened to it. We moved a lot after that so it probably got chucked at some point.
I'm surprised the radio photo came up. I have seen the AM/FM radio on Rangers. But never an AM radio. If I knew you in real life I'd but you a beer :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts