Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Another Quick question here. I want to replace the thermostat with a 180* one. I've already got it and ready to go, but I don't want to drain ALL the coolant out of the system. No sense draining out the radiator for just the engine. So, where do I pull to drain just the engine so I change the thermostat? Plus the radiator is slightly south of the engine, so that shouldn't pose a problem. Thanks guys.

I'll let the coolant cool while I go do my rear sway bar. :D B)
Back in a few hours! Yee Haw!

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know how much the vulcan engine has changed in eight years, but if it's anything like mine, all you need to do is unhook the upper radiator hose and drain it from there. It should be just enough to be able to replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may as well just drain off a bit of fluid from the radiator drain. It will do the same thing as unhooking the upper radiator hose, and either way there will be air that needs to bleed out of the cooling system.

I had a 180 degree thermostat in my Vulcan. In my engines class I learned that it's a bad idea to use a colder thermostat because the computer uses the coolant temperature as an input for several important functions. It's possible to prevent the engine from reaching the normal operating temperature range, which is bad.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I have a 170F in my '97 and have no issues. Been there for three years.

To really get the benefit of the lower temp T-stat you need to have the fans come on sooner or the coolant temp will raise to the fan turn on temp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts