Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just was give the a 99 se vulcan and it has 159 thousand on the odometer. runs a lil rough and think its got some exhaust leaks to get fixed. I know the plugs and wire need done but does anyone know a rough idea of what all i should check and do to get it in top shape. I think it has had the oil changed somewhat regularly cause it doesnt seem to burn any all suggestions would be appreciated.

Also is it possible that a 99 not have pats I have 2 sets of kes that look like replacements they are red and have a small head. I had a 01 focus and it has the large head with the chip. My sister had a 98 bull se 24v and it had the large key seems odd that mine doesnt have the standard large key

·
Registered
13 Posts
definately look for vacuum leaks. Found a few on my 98 and uncles 97. you can take a can of TB cleaner and spray the rubber hoses end to end. If the idle revs up a little you have a leak. Ours were so bad that you could hear it and touching the hose would change the noise.

Cleaning the Throttle body is a good idea. Take off the big air hose going to TB, Open the Throttle plate and Spray with TB Cleaner Liberaly. Get as much gunk of as you can. Maybe spray once and let soak and come back and do it again in a few minutes.

I have used Seafoam on Many vehicles and have had great success with it. On a hot engine, Run half a can in the brake booster hose, let the last bit kill the engine and let it sit for 30 minutes. Run the car aggressively down the road for 10 miles or so and car will smoke quite abit. Cleans the intake of carbon and smoothes out engine running. Dump the other half of the can in the gas tank to clean the injectors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts