Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my hard lines from trans to coolers, but left out the internal radiator cooler, and drove car for extended highway ride this past weekend. Trans temp got up around 152-157F during the trip which was approx 4.5 hours. Outdoor temp started out at 72F and got up to 83F last hour or so. As soon as I came off the highway in slower stop and go type traffic, that's when the temp went to 160ish and within the next 20 minutes crept up up the 180F mark. I also changed out the trans fluid, 2 new filters, one in pan, and the other a Magnefine inline, this was done with the lines change. The strange thing is my RPM vs MPH seemed a bit higher then usual, 55MPH = 2100RPM, 65MPH = 2500.(The torque converter was engaging and releasing). These numbers were off the PCM, consistent with my scantool. For the trans temps, that was also from the PCM by my scantool, and consistent with what my trans temp gauge was showing. I am using a stocked plate cooler by Long mfg. My first question is, would it have been better to just leave the internal radiator cooler hooked up? Are those temps shown above okay, or are they somewhat high for using a stacked plate cooler? And with regards to my RPM readings, for whatever reason they seem a bit higher then before, (100-200RPM)? This didn't happen until after the fluid/filters/lines/fittings changes. FWIW this AX4N has 140K on the clock. 30K fluid/filter changes. Since approx 72K this trans has had a slight clutch shutter at the 30-40MPH shift, which was able to be quelled by a forced shift once the car would approach 30mph. I know the trans, (hell, the car), is getting older and more things are likely to start going wrong. Anyways, any opinions on my temps and higher RPM readings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yes, you should leave teh radiator cooler hooked up, even though there is not much too it, the heat transfer from a fluid to a fluid is very efficient. The radiator can also be used to help warm up the trans when it is cold.

Your heat never got into the danger zone, so you should still be fine.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes, you should leave teh radiator cooler hooked up, even though there is not much too it, the heat transfer from a fluid to a fluid is very efficient. The radiator can also be used to help warm up the trans when it is cold.

Your heat never got into the danger zone, so you should still be fine.
I agree, although some here feel that anything above 170 Deg F is no good.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
All looks good to me. The radiator cooler will only add heat to the cooling system. How/where is the aux cooler mounted? Did you get rid of all the hard lines?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts