Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car is at that point where, in a matter of days, it will roll over to 150K miles. So far only major repair has been the water pump. Few minor suspension parts have gone out as well. What should I look at replacing? The starter doesnt work all the timein cold weather, but have only had to jump the car once. The battery has 850 cold cranking amps but still doesnt seem to do the trick. Plugs and wires have been replaced in the last 8,000 miles. I have no idea what has been replaced on the car before I bought it with 135,000 on the clock. :noes: :noes:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
When you say the starter doesn't work, do you still hear the solenoid clicking?

The battery capacity could very well be lower than normal. Take it to advance auto parts or another auto parts store that has a battery tester and they can tell you. Also, check the battery cables and terminals for corrosion.

How old is the battery, btw?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say the starter doesn't work, do you still hear the solenoid clicking?

The battery capacity could very well be lower than normal. Take it to advance auto parts or another auto parts store that has a battery tester and they can tell you. Also, check the battery cables and terminals for corrosion.

How old is the battery, btw?
[/b]

I bought it bought a year ago. And I ment that it struggles to start. I have a remote start and sometimes the car wont even attempt to start. Makes a click noise then nothing but thats when I use the remote start. The car has a long turn over time.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Sounds like a weak battery. Most come with warranties, take it to where you bought it, have it tested, and if it fails, new battery time :)

Plus a cold battery doesn't put out as much juice as 70(F) one anyways.

As far as the check up goes....

I'd do your regular maintenance stuff, filters, plugs, and wires. Might wanna have the fuel pump checked out also. We just got through fuel systems class at my school and I was amazed at how many people had fuel pumps that showed signs of early failure. My Taurus was dead on perfect at 140 thousand myself though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts