Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here and drive my '99 Sable wagon on some pretty rough ranch roads. I have to cross washes (when they are not running heavy of course), skirt sand drifts and go over rutted areas. I need to get as much ground clearance as possible without changing my wheels. Since the car has 205/65-15s stock, I figure I need a 70 or 75 series tire at least.

Does anyone have any idea if any of the following sizes may work AFA suspension and body clearance? 215/70-15, 205/75-15, 205/70-15. the 205/70 would only give me a minimal gain so I would rather use one of the others if they will work.

Thanks,
S

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I put 16" SHO rims with snow tires on my car for the winter. It helps give me more ground clearance, but the tires are a little taller than the SHO ones in the sidewall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

I would consider wider but I was concerned about strut and inner fender clearance since I was also going taller. I'm just not sure what will work.

S

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I run a 205/75 14. I have good struts so the car doesn't sag and I have no rubbing whatsoever Your equivalent 15 inch would be a 205/70 15, which would be about .25 of an inch taller over all. Eyeballing it on my car looks lie the extra height wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't think I'd mess with overall tire O.D. as that's going to mess up over all gearing and speedometer reading's. I had the same car and upgraded to a 225-55-16 set up. Overall O.D. was the same, but a lot more tread on the the road. Your car definitely look's in need of new rear spring's. I put new Moog Cargo Coils on mine for about $120 buck's from Rock Auto. That should the first order of business on your car.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Get rid of the S.A.S. (Saggy Ass Syndrome) that these cars are known for with those cargo coils. That'll definitely get you some more ground clearance, as well you might wanna try the rear strut tab mod. :dunno:

I'm not to keen on messing with the overall tire size as the ABS system and the transmission computer depend on a fixed rotation rate for reliable performance. I can understand how one would consider a larger tire, as 31" tires on my Jeep made it more capable. But this just doesn't work on these cars because they don't like getting different signals for the same speed. :dunno: Just as mentioned before increasing the tire size will make the computer shift incorrectly, your speedometer will read incorrectly, and your ABS system will not know how to properly function.

Good luck, and its great to hear about a Taurus/Sable being put to work!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You couldn't have been more wrong. You're thinking of High Flotation tires. Where 31x10.50x15 is a 31" round tire with a 10.5" cross section and a 15" rim diameter.

TIME FOR A TIRE SIZE LESSON.

225 is the width of the tire in Milimeters. P specifying its P metric (passenger car) and no prefix specifying euro spec. A T in front of the size means Temporary Spare, LT Prefix means Light Truck Specification.

Now it gets mixed up because if LT follows the size, (ess. suffix) This signifies the sizing as a older "Wide based" "Flotation" type tires, but are still measured the same way in inches.

I'm not getting into the the other codings because we don't really need to.

Lets use my Mazda's tire size to explain.

225/40R 18 92H.

225 is its section width in Millimeters

40R is the tires aspect ratio, which is in percentage to the section width. And the R means Radial.

So lets convert the tire size to inches, (225 / 25.4 = 8.86")and 8.86*40% leaves us with 3.544" which is my tire "height" from the rim. A 70R of the same 225 size would be a 6.2" sidewall.

the next number 18 is the rim diameter in inches. 18" is my rim size.

92H is my load index and tire speed rating.

92 means my tire can withstand a load of 1389 per tire,

H means my tires can withstand 130MPH

Edit: Apparently someone beat me to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here and drive my '99 Sable wagon on some pretty rough ranch roads. I have to cross washes (when they are not running heavy of course), skirt sand drifts and go over rutted areas. I need to get as much ground clearance as possible without changing my wheels. Since the car has 205/65-15s stock, I figure I need a 70 or 75 series tire at least.

Does anyone have any idea if any of the following sizes may work AFA suspension and body clearance? 215/70-15, 205/75-15, 205/70-15. the 205/70 would only give me a minimal gain so I would rather use one of the others if they will work.

Thanks,
S
Did you end up going with the 225/60/15s? If so, how are they performing? Are you noticing any shift/abs issues? Are they hitting the fender wells? Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts