Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Taurus with 130,000 miles on it and have only been driving it in the winter time.

My questions:
Any suggestions on front ball joints...maybe ones with grease fittings??

Any maintenance suggestions...??

Rear panel (right in front of the rear tire), drivers side is rusting badly. Have sanded down, used metal etching primer, but it is already rusting through when sitting for the summer....anyone else having this issue b/c I see a lot of white Taurus cars rusting out in this same spot??

I plan to:
Replace spark plugs and wires
Front/Rear pads & rotors
front airbag sensor for 4-2 code
replace both oxygen sensors

Oil has been changed (motorcraft oil & filter) every 3,000 mi.
Tranny oil was just flushed last fall
Radiator was just flushed last fall
Tires are in very good condition...always put 2 new front on in Dec.

Anything that I may be overlooking...would like to get as many miles out of the Taurus as possible...but the winter weather here in PA sure takes its toll.

·
Registered
23,547 Posts
I know it sounds backassward, but all major tire mfrs. recommend putting the 2 best tires on the rear of a fwd car. Possibly for handling and braking?

·
Registered
23,547 Posts
My rust probs. are always above the rear wheels and am lucky to have a friend who owns a body shop. He showed me the problem area is where 2 thin pcs. of sheet metal are spot-welded together and water, salt and sand slurry get trapped in there and the oxidation process begins. After the repairs, i take it home and spray the entire wheel well with 3m rustproofing undercoating. Ive also put some clear silicone into the gaps between the spot welds. 3 winters later, it hasnt returned. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was wondering if there were any undercoatings...true about the tires but I like a new set on the front for hills in the winter. I believe they say new on rear for curves and handling as u stated

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
if ball joints, tie rod ends, strut link to sway bar boots are torn
then I'd replace them in the near future.
Also take a look at your struts, look at housing to see if it has any
dirt from oil leaks on them. Springs should be ok too unless they are damaged.

Do replace your pcv valve and I'd replace the headlight bulbs and fuel filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts