Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2017 SEL that I need to run power directly from the battery into the interior of the car for my Ham Radio gear. Unlike cars in the past it was a pop fly to drill a hole in the firewall, but now there's stuff everywhere! Does anybody know of a good place to drill a hole or a chase I could pull two conductors through?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
How much current do you need to run the gear? There are a lot of unused fuse locations under that dash. You can get a piggy back fuse and run your power off one of those. Running a power wire through the firewall is a lot of work when you can just grab what you need inside the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be over 20A. You also run them direct to the battery in order to keep the radio from potentially jacking up the electronics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can add a RF filter to block the interference. Take it to a Radio install shop, they know where are the feed though points are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think I'm going to go the radio installer route. I've been trying to avoid that and made a last ditch effort yesterday to find a way myself.

Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
HI,

KE4DRN here, follow the hood release cable, it runs to the front of the car.
Easy to poke through the grommet. Pull back the carpet and you'll see it.
I ran #8 in my '99 wagon.

Alternate way to tap power is from the 30A line under the electric seat.
I do this when I have rental cars, I made up my own cable to tap in and remove it when I
turn the car back in. Rent the same make and models.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wouldn't some form of a 'fuse tap', 'add a circuit' or whatever you want to call piggybacking a fuse be an easy and straightforward option?

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Using a fuse tap with a load in excess of 20 Amps is asking for trouble!

Not sure if this will work on the G6, but I have run higher amp circuits with 10 AWG wire thru the boot where the steering column goes thru the firewall on a number of cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts