Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1000 watt amp in my car and wanted to know since i'm running stereo on it that i would be putting out 500 watts per channel. my idea was to hook a 300 watt 10" sub, and 2 (6*9) each rated at 150 watts a piece. even if the combined wattage of the speakers are higher than the amps peak power per channel, am i still running the chance of blowing out the speakers. plus i am using the stock head unit since it already has the 6-disc changer, would this setup make my radio sound any better?

·
Registered
746 Posts
i dont think you will run the chance of blowing anything, especially considering that youre 6x9's are most likely a higher impedence which means that you will actually be getting less power out of your amplifier, just be careful with teh gain and dont go cranking the volume immediatly.

also, what brand of amp do you have? that alone might get rid of any chance of blowing a coil.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
WOW, 1000 watts, huh?! I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your question about your audio system, but I know enough to know 1000 watts in an audio system is something else...The poor little basically stock system in my Bull :notworthy: bows down to the beast in yours.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by HokieSES@Jul 11 2004, 09:51 PM
WOW, 1000 watts, huh?! I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your question about your audio system, but I know enough to know 1000 watts in an audio system is something else...The poor little basically stock system in my Bull :notworthy: bows down to the beast in yours.
LOL... i laugh at 1000 watts... B)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a pyramid 2 channel 1000 watt amp. not the greatest amp, but so far its been pretty good. now would you suggest a crossover to divide my cars stereo system into a front, middle, and back setup or should just splicing the wires to my amp be sufficient? the music i listen to isn't heavy in bass, but i like to know its there if i need it. plus the stock radio is a little lacking in the volume department.

·
Registered
746 Posts
definitly go with a crossover. or perhaps upgrading your stock stereo to an aftermarket HU with good built in crossovers. that should do alot of help, and make your stereo sound tons better.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Jul 11 2004, 08:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hoss @ Jul 11 2004, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HokieSES@Jul 11 2004, 09:51 PM
WOW, 1000 watts, huh?! I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your question about your audio system, but I know enough to know 1000 watts in an audio system is something else...The poor little basically stock system in my Bull  :notworthy:  bows down to the beast in yours.
LOL... i laugh at 1000 watts... B) [/b][/quote]
He laughs at 1000 watts cause he knows its only putting out like 133.5 RMS... :p :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you hook your sub in with the 6x9's to your amp, your sub isnt gonna last very long being as you need to keep the amp on "full" setting to get any decent sound from the 6x9's. Keeping it on full means you're letting vocals through the line for the 6x9's....vocals in turn kill subs, especially for long periods of time. So even if you set your amp on "low pass" you would hear nothing but bass from your 6x9's. My opinion....get another smaller amp for either your sub or your 6x9's.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by Myzery@Jul 12 2004, 10:24 AM
If you hook your sub in with the 6x9's to your amp, your sub isnt gonna last very long being as you need to keep the amp on "full" setting to get any decent sound from the 6x9's. Keeping it on full means you're letting vocals through the line for the 6x9's....vocals in turn kill subs, especially for long periods of time. So even if you set your amp on "low pass" you would hear nothing but bass from your 6x9's. My opinion....get another smaller amp for either your sub or your 6x9's.
Does this apply to a speaker box with tweeters in it? I know it doesn't have a crossover in the box.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Any tweeter in any application should have everything cut out besides the highs, whether its through passive or active crossovers or bass blockers.

Basically, all speakers have a range of sounds that they reproduce optimally. 6x9s are typically 2 or 3 way speakers, meaning they have a woofer and tweet and possibly some sort of midrange. Crossovers perform the funcion of cutting off frequencies in music for each speaker so that it gets it's optimal range only. What these guys were saying is that while 6x9s can produce a large range of sounds due to having mulitple drivers, subs can only reproduce low frequencies. They are suggesting to have a seperate amp so that only lows can be sent to the sub and everything else including lows can be xent to the 6x9s.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
But what should I do with my box? I bought it with high's and low's. It has 10" RF woofers and Motorola tweets and the box itself has a Rockford Fosgate logo stuck on it. Is is safe to assume that the box (which only has 1 hookup on each side) was meant to have highs and lows sent to it or should I put a seperate connector for the tweets when I hook it up so I can seperate the freq.?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If it only has one connector than it should have a built-in crossover somewhere in the box. If it came from the manufacturer as is, then it should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Four subs or four speakers in general?

I would go with series. Only because you do not know how your amp will actually function at 2ohms. It may function like gold or the amp might clip badly when you overdrive it and possibly damage the voice coils. On the down side you may not have as much juice to run the subs...

Say its 1000watts you have a potential RMS of about 700watts, or 350wattsx2
Since its a lower end amp, I'd take that into consideration and say its only going to do about 245watts x2 clean. Running in series you will be running at 8 ohms as opposed to 2 or 4 ohm, so you may only end up with about 122.5 wattsx2.

I took a course in home electronics and this is what I come up with... Someone who does cars more than me might have a better answer.

What kind of speakers do you plan on running with it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.