Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

$1000 later....wtf is wrong with my car!!!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  95sable 
#1 ·
ok guys long story short-

took my 2000 tec in for alignment- goodyear place told me they couldn't.

took it to ford dlr- they drilled out my driver side strut mount welds and moved it to correct the camber issue. they also replaced my struts do to them "wiggling'?. Anyway....

ford charged me 770 for that bs... and they didn't replace my rubber strut mount things you can see from inside the engine bay (where the nut/washer tightens down on the strut bolt). The 'rubber thing' on the driver side isn't flat anymore- it's cone shaped....the one on the passenger side is flat like normal....why the hell is one different from the other is they didn't replace them? I assume they messed one up when putting it back on.

Biggest issue- and it's wierd- it seems that only the passenger side does this: when going over a bumb or something similar, the passenger front sounds like something is really loose and banging together. if you have ever driven an old pickup that has about 250xxx miles on it, and heard that ****** old truck suspension sound- almost like everything is loose and banging around- you know what i mean. think farm truck.

My question is what to do? Ford is telling me to spend anoth 440 to get my 'rubber things' replaced.....yadda yadda.... I think they can kiss my ass..... but i'm going on 3 weeks after the work was done so i need to get in if you guys KNOW they have messed something up or over looked it....

looking for opinions-

as always- thanks for the help guys-

btw- this was about a 2min rant- sry for grammar and lack of info-

See less See more
#2 ·
You should ALWAYS replace strut mounts when replacing struts. Ford should of suggested it at the very least. This may be your problem.

This is why I try and do my own work or at the very least educate myself in what can be done. If they know they can take you for a ride they will.

#3 ·
I would check the Ball Joints, Stabilizer Bar Links, and Subframe bushings as well as the strut mounts. All of these items can cause a clunk noise and are known wear points on the Taurus.

#5 ·
+2 ^ I have over 80k on my '03 wagon and the alignment is still within specs and the camber plates have never been drilled. I would look into why the front is "outta wack". It could very well be sub frame bushings letting it move out. I owuld think the dealer would have done that, but who knows. They usually are looking for ways to spend your money. I would look into,
Sub frame bushings
ball joints
tie rods
control arm bushings

Your sway bar mounts and end links wont thow out the alignment, but could make the noise.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.