Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
New member here with an interesting issue with the sunroof/moonroof on my 2010 MKS. It has the dual glass where the front section opens/tilts and the rear only has the option to open the shade for viewing purposes.

So this fall I started getting some water in the driver & passenger foot-wells. Had the same issue with my 06 mustang that turned out to be the area underneath the windshield where the cabin filter goes. Drains gets clogged and water runs into the cabin. I checked these areas on the MKS and they were pretty nasty so I cleaned them and figured the issue was taken care of. NOT SO

A few weeks later after a heavy rain when the car was outside and the front passenger side floor was wet again. My focus turned to the sunroof drains as I know those get clogged commonly on vehicles. This time there were some drops of water on the center console by the gear selector as well. I know the drains come out in the front wheelwells so I'm ready to run compressed air through from above or whatever else it takes to clear them.

THE PROBLEM NOW is that the sunroof has stopped working after the last rain. Nothing happens when you press any of the buttons up top - the shade, the tilt function, or the open function. No sound, no clicking, nothing. HOWEVER, the slide will open and close the rear moonroof glass perfectly fine. But won't close to cover the front glass. Very strange it seems. I swapped out the fuse by the battery and no change. Did the water intrusive kill some safety relay which still allows the shade button to partially work?

Any idea what could be going on? I need to get it open to clean the drain lines out. Let me know your thoughts. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This gets more bizarre now - I drove my mustang to work yesterday and I got home and opened the garage. Lo and behold the, the sunroof was all the way open! It is possessed!

I poured water right into the front drain tubes since I could access them with the roof open and I can't believe it but they're draining right out as they should. Now I have no idea where the water could be coming from. The fabric piece that comes up in the front when you open the roof was very stiff and frozen so it has definitely been wet.

I haven't tested whether the sunroof controls are fully functioning now as I didn't want to risk it closing and not opening while I'm still chasing the leak.

·
Registered
716 Posts
There are going to be 4 drains on the sunroof. 2 in front, and 2 in the back. 2 in front drain down the A-Pillar, and the 2 in back drain down the B-Pillar. This allows you to park on hills and not have draining problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are going to be 4 drains on the sunroof. 2 in front, and 2 in the back. 2 in front drain down the A-Pillar, and the 2 in back drain down the B-Pillar. This allows you to park on hills and not have draining problems.
Thanks for that. The rears will be hard to access. I figured my issue was the front right as the water comes in down the passenger side A-Pillar. But it appears to be clean.

Any ideas on why the controls go from unresponsive to working just like that?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I cant help you much on that one. I cant remember if the sunroof is direct controlled from the switch, or if it goes thru the BCM to remember positions, and stopping points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So update on this - turns out the driver from drain was clogged despite the fact that the water was coming in on the passenger side. Must have been the minor slope of my driveway. So I seem to be good on the water at this point.

Problem now is that the sunroof won't close! It somehow opened on it's own the other night and now is just as unresponsive as below (except the shade on the rear section). But now it is stuck open! At this point, I just need to get it to close so I can drive the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm planning on taking the car in today to solve this.

Figured I'd try one last time - does anyone know of the Ford moonroof motors have a way you can manually crank the roof panel closed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts