Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between these sub options? My goal is to produce strong and accurate bass, without distortions or wobbling, and there is no need to rattle windows in a neighbors garage or even my own license plate. Price is not a big issue. I can buy a 12 inch sub and enclosure for under $100. However, the space is an issue to me. The less space it takes, the better.

Right now I am thinking of getting this:

Atrend E12S enclosure

Amazon.com: Atrend E12S B Box Series 12-Inch Single Hatchback Enclosures: Electronics

and a Pioneer W303R sub

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-W303R 12" 4-Ohm Subwoofer: Electronics

The amp produces 200 watts power.

Can a 10 inch setup beat this?

·
Registered
260 Posts
What's the difference between these sub options? My goal is to produce strong and accurate bass, without distortions or wobbling, and there is no need to rattle windows in a neighbors garage or even my own license plate. Price is not a big issue. I can buy a 12 inch sub and enclosure for under $100. However, the space is an issue to me. The less space it takes, the better.

Right now I am thinking of getting this:

Atrend E12S enclosure

Amazon.com: Atrend E12S B Box Series 12-Inch Single Hatchback Enclosures: Electronics

and a Pioneer W303R sub

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-W303R 12" 4-Ohm Subwoofer: Electronics

The amp produces 200 watts power.

Can a 10 inch setup beat this?

If you want less space.....then dont get one. You can make good sound just by upgrading your door and deck speakers to components and mount the amp somewere completely out of the way. Then you have to hassle of a speaker box sliding around in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are right. I'll go take that route next time, but now I have already got a ginormous 5 channel amplifier in the trunk, so at this point I will go all the way and add a sub as well.

I guess my question should have been worded slightly differently. I am sure a 10 inch sub will be loud enough for me. However, will going from 10 inch to 12 inch improve bass _quality_?

·
Registered
144 Posts
12s generally hit lower and louder, but tend to be less accurate

10s hit higher (punchier) at slightly lower volume, but tend to be more accurate because of their size

12s require more space for proper sound though

Since you listen mainly to rock I'd say get a good quality 10, and have an enclosure built to match (not a prefab)

EDIT: I wouldn't recommend the sub you picked out, and what amp do you have?

·
Registered
367 Posts
12s generally hit lower and louder, but tend to be less accurate

10s hit higher (punchier) at slightly lower volume, but tend to be more accurate because of their size

12s require more space for proper sound though

Since you listen mainly to rock I'd say get a good quality 10, and have an enclosure built to match (not a prefab)

EDIT: I wouldn't recommend the sub you picked out, and what amp do you have?
Wrong.

Common misconceptions.

How low a sub can hit and how punchy it is all based on a the box and amount of power. The more cone area the better its going to sound. Go read up BREH

·
Registered
367 Posts
i know lots of 15inch subs that suck compared to 8inch subs.

go read up breh
Ok cool? I read multiple car audio forums just about every day, just an FYI "breh". Were talking equivalent brands but different sizes of them... ie. type -r 10" vs type-r 12" vs type-r 15". 90% of how your install is gonna sound is from the box design. 8" subs can get just as low as 15"s in the right box but the 15" is going to be louder doing it from the extra cone area (assuming they have the same amount of power). I'd suggest going to Car Audio Forum - CarAudio.com or http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/ for suggestions, all you're gonna find here is people with basic street knowledge (for the most part).

My suggestion to you would be to get the biggest sub you have space for and go ported unless you have space constraints. In general ported 12"s will need 1.5-2.5 cubic ft boxes but every sub will have a suggested size. Check out the Fi X sub (https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficarau...0_Speakers/0045_X/product_overview.shopscript), 100x better than that pioneer you listed or you could even try an Alpine Type-r, they get loud but don't have the best sound quality. Also build your own box, if you have a saw, screwdriver and glue you can easily make your own box for less money and it will sound better because it will be made to the subwoofers specs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok cool? I read multiple car audio forums just about every day, just an FYI "breh". Were talking equivalent brands but different sizes of them... ie. type -r 10" vs type-r 12" vs type-r 15". 90% of how your install is gonna sound is from the box design. 8" subs can get just as low as 15"s in the right box but the 15" is going to be louder doing it from the extra cone area (assuming they have the same amount of power). I'd suggest going to Car Audio Forum - CarAudio.com or Car Audio Classifieds - Buy, Sell and Trade Car Audio Equipment for suggestions, all you're gonna find here is people with basic street knowledge (for the most part).

My suggestion to you would be to get the biggest sub you have space for and go ported unless you have space constraints. In general ported 12"s will need 1.5-2.5 cubic ft boxes but every sub will have a suggested size. Check out the Fi X sub (https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficarau...0_Speakers/0045_X/product_overview.shopscript), 100x better than that pioneer you listed or you could even try an Alpine Type-r, they get loud but don't have the best sound quality. Also build your own box, if you have a saw, screwdriver and glue you can easily make your own box for less money and it will sound better because it will be made to the subwoofers specs.
you said the more cone area the better its going to sound. false. btw i do read the CA forums everyday. and its pretty funny how you suggested a type-r when the guy needs SQ not SPL or even SQL.

·
Registered
367 Posts
you said the more cone area the better its going to sound. false. btw i do read the CA forums everyday. and its pretty funny how you suggested a type-r when the guy needs SQ not SPL or even SQL.
No where did he say he wanted SQ. Just nothing that's going to rattle **** which a type-r won't do with the wattage hes working with. I'd think I'd know after owning one for a year? In general a larger driver requires less excursion than a smaller driver for the same amount of SPL allowing them to keep a flatter response as the frequency drops more easily. Anything else you want to contest?

·
Registered
260 Posts
No where did he say he wanted SQ. Just nothing that's going to rattle **** which a type-r won't do with the wattage hes working with. I'd think I'd know after owning one for a year? In general a larger driver requires less excursion than a smaller driver for the same amount of SPL allowing them to keep a flatter response as the frequency drops more easily. Anything else you want to contest?
On two separate occasions actually...
What's the difference between these sub options? My goal is to produce strong and accurate bass, without distortions or wobbling...
I guess my question should have been worded slightly differently. I am sure a 10 inch sub will be loud enough for me. However, will going from 10 inch to 12 inch improve bass _quality_?
@fct
I personally recommend the 10" RE Audio SX. Not only because I have it, but because of all the subs I've owned it's the #2 best sub I've heard and it's very flexible with box sizes and types. I've put it through 6 different boxes, 2 sealed, 4 ported and the loudness changes (obviously), but the range sound quality of it from box to box stayed in a pretty moderate range. The sub plays smooth; strong, solid bass that you wouldn't normally expect out of a 10" sub. Overall, I would say this sub is geared more towards sound quality since I had to build 6 boxes to get the loudness and balance I wanted out of it. It's definitely a worthy choice if you're looking for a long term sub

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.