Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon Bull Riders
Ive got a 2004 Ford SES with 110K. Solid car owned since 77K, Used for touring travel only. It is not VIN coded for E-85 FLEX-Fuel.

I have been using ethanol free fuel for some time and it seems to run better on this fuel, than the high octane 10% ethanol. I only have one location to get Ethanol Free fuel and it is 30 miles away. I was wondering if anyone else had pro or con experiences with these fuel varieties.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My cars all seem to run better on E-0. Fuel mileage doesnt seem to matter, but I can hear a difference in how the engine is running. Less piston slap, etc. On my Avalanche that I can run E-85, fuel mileage goes way down, power stays about the same. The only problem I end up having is that I get a O2 sensor fault when I got back to e-10 or e-0. It lasts for about a tank or 2, than goes away.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here in MN, we don't have the option of buying ethanol-free gas for our daily drivers...only for classic cars, boats, small engines, etc. can we buy non-ethanol and, it's 91 octane AND approx. $.50/gal more. Been this way for 20 yrs. But, when MN first mandated use of ethanol, I would often run the short distance across state line into WI and fill up with their non-ethanol. I can tell you for certain, my cars would easily get 10-15% better gas mileage on the non-ethanol. Aside from that, I haven't had any performance issues with any of my cars over the years that I can attribute to ethanol.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't know of any petrol stations here that sell Ethanol free petrol, I just see the "up to 10%" Ethanol petrol for sale.

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
E-10 is all I've seen available here in KC. I've ran its 87 octane for years without issue. All my cars are "gas-only" except my '16 ffv Impala.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In MT, you usually see 10% ethanol, though I believe Cenex stations and some Conoco stations have ethanol free 91 octane. To tell you the truth, I've alway just run regular 87 in my car. I don't foresee any loss in mileage to be worth paying the extra cash for premium.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I use ethanol free gas in my boat, snowblower, tiller and leak blower. I buy it at a fuel distribution center but it is expensive because it is 89 octane for use on recreational vehicles. I but it essentially because it will not absorb water as much and it protects the fuel system from corrosion. That's the first question the engine manufacturer will ask if there is a fuel related problem under warranty. It will deliver better gas mileage because alcohol has less BTUs per gallon than gasoline.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before I moved, E-0 was readily available, and I used it as much as possible in my 1997 Explorer SOHC. It yielded significantly more power and fuel economy increased approximately 15%. So it was actually more economical, a win/win. Same thing in my flash-tuned 2005 4.6L Explorer. I have never tried it in any of the Tauruses I have owned through the years.

My power saw it is pretty much mandatory.

I have a 1986 Honda V4 Interceptor (pre fuel injection), and it is absolutely mandatory. The problems that will manifest from introducing even a small amount of E-10 are devastating.

In my opinion, it is absolute garbage, nothing more than political window dressing and a government boondoggle.

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
The issues I have seen with it have had more to do with it not being Tier 1 fuel, never had any moisture related issues using 10% in our vehicles but we do always use Tier 1 fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your comments, while I have had this post I swapped to high octane chevron Techron fuel and accumulated about 350 Miles in my Bull. My Taurus did not run as smooth, got less mileage and defiantly had less power. CATs did not operate as effeciantly as they do as on 0-Ethanol. So it may cost more but I believe ethanol free fuel/pure gas is a better fuel to run.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
This debate comes up a lot. Simply put, non ethanol fuel has more energy per gallon. I think the "runs better" effect is placebo, but you will see higher MPG out of it. With that said, there's nothing wrong with 10% ethanol fuel. It's been the standard for almost 20 years now. Ethanol has less energy but it has a better cooling effect than gasoline when it vaporizes, so it lowers the risk of spark knock/preignition.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In 2000 Taurus 3.0 L V6 Vulcan.

In hot dry weather conditions had pinging and very bad performance, during moderate acceleration, on "Regular" 87 Octane E-10.

Did everything I could - maintenance wise - to the car to prevent that (ensure EGR system working correctly, try to clean carbon from combustion chamber etc. etc. ) Helped somewhat, but not totally.

So I just switched - all the time now - to PREMIUM GAS, 91 OCTANE E-0
(NO ETHANOL / JUST GOOD QUALITY PREMIUM GASOLINE WITH no ethanol, and A LITTLE HIGHER OCTANE RATING).

Much better performance, better fuel economy. Solid.

It costs more, but I figured for the extra cost - it was worth it.

My car / my transportation is SO important to me ... that I figured that there is no point in risking sub-performing / questionable fuel in my vehicle.

The extra cost of the Premium Fuel - is of little or no consequence to me.

I don't have time or patience to waste / or desire risk my car or equipment - on lower quality fuel.

Premium Fuel with NO ETHANOL now goes in EVERYTHING I own and Run. Esp. All Small engines.
(received letter from small engine shop advising me to use Premium with no ethanol in all small engines - or will have trouble - their experience )

I would have to agree with the statement "They can keep their Ethanol" .
( Those Greenie Snowflakes / those unique "special people" / who live in some sort of fantasy world - who want to tell everyone else ... "what they should or should not do" ... and who try to brainwash the rest of the world ... into their way of "thinking" ... aka "mental illness")

·
Registered
341 Posts
Picked up a book recently, used, and the author expresses his opinion on E-85 and E-85 Vehicles.

In that section, he has a negative opinion of Ethanol in gasoline, and E-85 vehicles.

Many of the same reasons I mentioned above.

He basically states he thinks it is a waste of money and sub-performing and may cause issues/problems in the vehicle.

book: Lemon Aid 1980-2015

[ read the short section on E-85 ]

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Experience:

95 Octane E5 regular gas --> normal
95 Octane E10 gas --> slightly higher consumption
E85 higher consumption but same power

102 Octane E5 Shell V-Power Racing --> felt no difference to regular 95

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
No alcohol best for small engines. It attracts water in seasonal use engines.

As for my cars, ~$0.55 per gallon, not worth anything.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I ''import'' E free from NYS for my small engines. No issues with them since doing it years ago. Never noticed a difference in my road fleet using it other than my wallet being lighter from buying it since it's only available in premium.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
15 Participants
repairman54
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing