Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had this belt put on less than a year ago and we are not hard drivers in my house. The treads seem ok but the smooth side of the belt is in bad shape. Could there be another problem with the car causing this, or is it just that it's a low quality belt from Strauss Discount Auto that is to blame?

·
Registered
121 Posts
one of your pulley bearings could be going bad. with the belt off try to spin everyone of them and make sure they spin freely.

·
Registered
587 Posts
could try belt dressing next time. i got the same problem i went to auto zone to get a shorter belt and it starting to ware cause i did not dress it. it was for a air conditioner delete that the reason of the shorter belt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one of your pulley bearings could be going bad. with the belt off try to spin everyone of them and make sure they spin freely.
When I had the belt off I spun all the wheels and they all moved freely, I was even worried they were moving too freely since I had heard they should be somewhat sluggish to move. The only one that didn't move at all was the big crankshaft wheel at the bottom and I figured that one only moves when the engine is on (could be wrong about that).

Also check the tensioner, they wear out with age and time.
I had the tensioner replaced at the same time as the belt (last year), and when I put the new belt on yesterday the tensioner seemed very strong.

The old belt seemed VERY oily and dirty so maybe that was the problem, hopefully the new belt and the tensioner (put on last year) last this time. Thanks a lot guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts