Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if 0w30 or 0w40 would be a good choice for a 1997 SHO with just under 135K mi, from what i see if better lubs the parts and can withstand more cold (up to -40 F) where we get a couple days straight of this weather

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
As long as you are using a quality synthetic feel free to use whatever weight(s) you want. 0-40 is a very good oil.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Don't do it lol

you can if you want, but i dont reccomend 0w to anyone. Im sure mr nimz will pop in sooner or later, he can tell you for sure what to do =)

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
0-40 is a perfectly good oil. It's only 0 weight at it's highest temperature range.

What is it with so many people and the idea/fact of multi-weight oils being better than they were 25 years ago?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Apr 27 2009, 03:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721087
0-40 is a perfectly good oil. It's only 0 weight at it's highest temperature range.

What is it with so many people and the idea/fact of multi-weight oils being better than they were 25 years ago?[/b]
Backwards.

In multi-viscosity oils, the left number refers to cold behavior of the particular oil, while the right number refers to its hot (100 degrees Celsius) behavior. So, for instance, 5W-30 oil would flow well when cold like 5-weight oil, but protect at high temperatures like 30-weight oil.

That said I use 10 w 30 in my SHO's over 100k. I like a thicker oil film at startup on higher clearance bearings. Shuts up the chain tensioners too.

Edit - Whoops - I didn't see you are from up North. I'd stick with a 5 w 30. MAYBE a 0 w 30 in the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Apr 27 2009, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721094
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Apr 27 2009, 03:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721087

What is it with so many people and the idea/fact of multi-weight oils being better than they were 25 years ago?[/b]
Backwards.

In multi-viscosity oils, the left number refers to cold behavior of the particular oil, while the right number refers to its hot (100 degrees Celsius) behavior. So, for instance, 5W-30 oil would flow well when cold like 5-weight oil, but protect at high temperatures like 30-weight oil.

That said I use 10 w 30 in my SHO's over 100k. I like a thicker oil film at startup on higher clearance bearings. Shuts up the chain tensioners too.

Edit - Whoops - I didn't see you are from up North. I'd stick with a 5 w 30. MAYBE a 0 w 30 in the winter.
[/b][/quote]
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wTiGWy9aik"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wTiGWy9aik" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Yep, I had it sdrawkcabssa.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ Apr 27 2009, 03:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721084
Don't do it lol

you can if you want, but i dont reccomend 0w to anyone. Im sure mr nimz will pop in sooner or later, he can tell you for sure what to do =)[/b]
0W-40 is what BMW runs. I run 0w-30 in a Vulcan with no problems. I'm pretty sure a Yamaha V8 has tighter tolerances than the Vulcan and wouldn't notice.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
This is going to be one of those ongoing arguments that ppl will still be fighting about 30 years from now :lol2:

call me old school but I like my oil to be a little thicker on start up, i usually run 10w40 in the summer and 5w40 in the winter. I just never bought into the 0w anyway. If people says it works then go for it, just wont ever see me using it.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ Apr 28 2009, 06:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721219
This is going to be one of those ongoing arguments that ppl will still be fighting about 30 years from now :lol2:

call me old school but I like my oil to be a little thicker on start up, i usually run 10w40 in the summer and 5w40 in the winter. I just never bought into the 0w anyway. If people says it works then go for it, just wont ever see me using it.[/b]
I don't have a problem with your opinion. Men are supposed to have opinions and feel strongly that those opinions are right. If we were easily swayed and changed our opinions frequently... Well, we wouldn't be men anymore.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ Apr 28 2009, 06:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721219

call me old school but I like my oil to be a little thicker on start up, i usually run 10w40 in the summer and 5w40 in the winter. I just never bought into the 0w anyway. If people says it works then go for it, just wont ever see me using it.[/b]
Just FWIW, I'm not bashing you at all. I just run 0W-30 (and soon 0W-40) for extreme protection and have notice no Ill effects. I do agree, In hotter climates you shouldn't run anything less than a 30 or 40

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I've run 0w30 in my SHO before, but I'm running 5w30 currently. I don't have any tensioner rattling problems. I'd recommend a 5w oil minimum for the winter though; 0w oil will be too thin at startup in the summer IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts