Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 Taurus SEL a couple months ago and it currently has 157k on it, and I've been reading up on water pump failures. Should I be worried that my car is going to die relatively soon or should I not worry and hope I get it to 200k?

·
Registered
131 Posts
You have the "old", or first style WP, if it wasn't changed , before you bought it. Even the "new" style water or coolant pumps, that were supposed to be more robust & hopefully last longer fail, at varying mileage, usually over 100K miles. The new redesigned pump was for the ~ late 2011 models. A second redesign of the pump , again hopefully to make it longer lasting, was sometime in 2016. Too early for data on the longevity of that pump to be known . So . IMHO, if you feel the vehicle is worth an up to a 2 grand repair bill, just to change the pump, yes , I think it long overdue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
BTW ,with the mileage you have , again if you deem the vehicle worthy of spending a few more hundred bucks on , while if you or a mechanic tackles the WP, put on new timing chain components on the engine too. Man this forum seems to have problems on posting here. Can't go back to correct what one has written, very slow respons

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have the "old", or first style WP, if it wasn't changed , before you bought it. Even the "new" style water or coolant pumps, that were supposed to be more robust & hopefully last longer fail, at varying mileage, usually over 100K miles. The new redesigned pump was for the ~ late 2011 models. A second redesign of the pump , again hopefully to make it longer lasting, was sometime in 2016. Too early for data on the longevity of that pump to be known . So . IMHO, if you feel the vehicle is worth an up to a 2 grand repair bill, just to change the pump, yes , I think it long overdue.
BTW ,with the mileage you have , again if you deem the vehicle worthy of spending a few more hundred bucks on , while if you or a mechanic tackles the WP, put on new timing chain components on the engine too. Man this forum seems to have problems on posting here. Can't go back to correct what one has written, very slow respons
I currently don't have the money to do the pump, and considering I got the car for only $1600 it doesn't make sense to me to double my investment into the car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you can't spend the big bucks on preventative maintenance , then spend the small bucks , you can afford. Like frequent oil changes, & changing the anti-freeze regularly. It's "said" to prolong the pump longevity, to do these minor maintenance procedures even earlier than required? Good luck, you're going to need it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can't spend the big bucks on preventative maintenance , then spend the small bucks , you can afford. Like frequent oil changes, & changing the anti-freeze regularly. It's "said" to prolong the pump longevity, to do these minor maintenance procedures even earlier than required? Good luck, you're going to need it!
I did an oil change in November and am gonna be due for one in a couple months. Maybe I'll do a coolant flush too while I'm at it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
IMHO , yes a coolant flush & fill with the "Gold" antifreeze, would be very wise. Don't use the orange dex cool that's for latter models, 2014 & up. Synthetic 5W20 oil would be good too. the "Gold

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMHO , yes a coolant flush & fill with the "Gold" antifreeze, would be very wise. Don't use the orange dex cool that's for latter models, 2014 & up. Synthetic 5W20 oil would be good too. the "Gold
yep! I plan on doing that. I've been using Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-20 oil and plan on using it again. I'd also like to mention this car was purchased in November 2019 from an older lady who used it as a daily commuter to and from work for ~10 years, and is in near perfect condition save for rust on the rear fenders.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,028 Posts
Just keep the coolant changed every 30k miles or so. Edge owners have a lot more data on this engine than Taucor, and lack of maintenance is what’s killing the pumps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just keep the coolant changed every 30k miles or so. Edge owners have a lot more data on this engine than Taucor, and lack of maintenance is what’s killing the pumps.
Why would ONLY Edge owners know more about why these Ford Cyclone WPs are failing? Or have the most data on this problem? Source? I don't get it? Proof please, also, that a lack of maintenance is "killing" these pumps too? I know a Ford Edge owner who kept up his maintenance very well, & had his Cyclone V6 catastrophic water pump failure destroy his engine, with little or no warning , as countless others did too. This pump has been re-designed twice already , improved both times. That shows data, that Ford put in , like Mazda said, inferior coolant pumps , from the start. They knew about this failure & were sued for it, class action style ! I would hope "The White Falcon" , who seems to have ALL the answers but not much data , would know these "internal" water pump designs, have been tried by other manufacturers before, with equally disastrous results when these style pumps fail, & they all WILL eventually. Again to rephrase , "why would Ford Edge owners know more about WHY these pumps are failing", than owners of other Ford or Mazda FWD products with these Engines? Proof please!

These pumps are put internally , not outside the engine, which is why they are so many times , often destroying engines , oft times very little warning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1.) Always check your oil at the gas station, each and every time including when it is raining, snowing, and 98 degrees outside. I figure it this way, while the gas is rolling in the tank, you are standing there like a zombie, may as well do somthing...... Look for a milkshake in the oil. If there is, get a tow right then.
2.) Certain years have a weep hole near the alternator, keep an eye on coolant leaking.
3.) When you go on long trips, just keep an eye on the oil color. Do this though out your trip. It will not just blow the engine like you read about. It will leak coolant into your oil for a period of time, and continuing driving will ruin the engine. Don't continue to drive and you wont need a new engine. I always check oil on my cars that use a little oil. Never on cars that don't. I have adopted a different way of thinking now.....

Yes it is a terrible design, and I will never ever defend it. But idle time, heat cool cycles, oil change intervals, and coolant intervals all contribute to them failing. Just got to see one torn down at 121k and 9054 engine hrs, 3000 ish idle hours. That is why it failed. Lots of crankshaft rotation time!!!! My car has 175k and 3000 engine hrs, and 345 idle hours and I am waiting for the signs to change it. Fordtechmakuloco did a mazda with over 220k on it. Our pennsylvania state police see these failures on some and not others so it is not a science. There is not "this is how to prevent it" scenario.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good info from 'fordiesel69". I have no data again, if lack of maintenance is making these pumps go out, but I suspect that the early ones went out MUCH sooner than the later , "improved" designs. That's no doubt why they made improvements to this WP, twice.

As the above post states , on YouTube , Ford Tech MAKULOCO has very good info on the "how to do" on these vehicles. Also great info on the maintenance intervals these vehicles need. Scotty Kilmer on YT has some good info on vehicle maintenance in general. Best of luck , DrAwesome821 , I hope you wont need it, but you reduce the odds if you follow the advice here.

In case you ever want to change the WP, a member here , who did it ,posted photos , & gave good advice on how to do it, without removing the engine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another thought is how these vehicles are driven , too. Many high revs & abuse will IMHO , take the life out of the timing chain & components , & the WP , too. If one runs this like a demon , pedal to the metal , constantly , it will shorten the life out of most engines. Believe me , I know people who drive this way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts