Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh:

07 Taurus Squeal, Electrical problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off I'll apologize for shamelessly signing up on the forum today in the hopes of finding some knowledgable people who might be able to help me with my problem. I did atleast search for a while for my problem but couldn't seem to find it, on here or on google. Thanks for any help!

I have a 2007 Ford Taurus SEL, recently I had started to hear a high pitched electrical squeal inside the car two weeks or so ago. At first thought it was just the radio, but it is still there after I turn it off. I have tried to go through everything, such as lights, radio, heating/AC, and turn them off and on trying to see if that was the cause but didn't make it go away. I was driving home yesterday and it started squealing again and I happened to look down and with my lights on and the backlights dimmed down most of the way I saw my MPG/Mileage readout had horizontal red lines through out the LED and it was flashing. It wasn't flashing on and off, all the letters/numbers where all flashing in a cascade type sequence. It could be that it has been happening before when the sound first started but this is the first time I recall it being dark out where I could see if flashing like this. I wonder if something is loose in the dash, I just was hoping to get an opinion before I went and put my car in the shop. I may just get up under the dash and start pushing connections to make sure they are tight. I hit the dash and sometimes it seems to make it go away and other times it doesn't, and it will just go away on its own. When it goes away on its own or starts acting up, there doesn't seem to be any significant jolt to the car like hitting a bump or anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Also the computer nerd in me is coming out because also wondered if doing a "hard boot" of the car would maybe do something. If I disconnected the battery terminals for a few and reconnected them it might make the problem just go away if it was some computer issue.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How many miles on it? I'm guessing it is your alternator going bad on you. especially if the electrical noise you are describing is hearable in your radio in the AM band.
The guages on an 07 will "wiggle" if you have a low battery or bad alt too.

QUOTE (Sterling_Six @ Mar 14 2009, 10:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708665
:huh:

07 Taurus Squeal, Electrical problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off I'll apologize for shamelessly signing up on the forum today in the hopes of finding some knowledgable people who might be able to help me with my problem. I did atleast search for a while for my problem but couldn't seem to find it, on here or on google. Thanks for any help!

I have a 2007 Ford Taurus SEL, recently I had started to hear a high pitched electrical squeal inside the car two weeks or so ago. At first thought it was just the radio, but it is still there after I turn it off. I have tried to go through everything, such as lights, radio, heating/AC, and turn them off and on trying to see if that was the cause but didn't make it go away. I was driving home yesterday and it started squealing again and I happened to look down and with my lights on and the backlights dimmed down most of the way I saw my MPG/Mileage readout had horizontal red lines through out the LED and it was flashing. It wasn't flashing on and off, all the letters/numbers where all flashing in a cascade type sequence. It could be that it has been happening before when the sound first started but this is the first time I recall it being dark out where I could see if flashing like this. I wonder if something is loose in the dash, I just was hoping to get an opinion before I went and put my car in the shop. I may just get up under the dash and start pushing connections to make sure they are tight. I hit the dash and sometimes it seems to make it go away and other times it doesn't, and it will just go away on its own. When it goes away on its own or starts acting up, there doesn't seem to be any significant jolt to the car like hitting a bump or anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Also the computer nerd in me is coming out because also wondered if doing a "hard boot" of the car would maybe do something. If I disconnected the battery terminals for a few and reconnected them it might make the problem just go away if it was some computer issue.[/b]

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
My alternator failed at 28,500 miles. I noticed flickering headlights and dome lights and bearing noise from the alternator. Luckily I got it replaced under warranty. It just started to slightly flicker again so I guess these alternators are not "Built To Last".

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Is the car still under warranty? If so, just take it to the dealer and let them fix it.

No, disconnecting the battery cables isn't likely going to help. That doesn't fix problems - all it does is clear codes and reset the PCM.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Sounds like the Alternator too me, mine used to do somthing like that when the car was low on power like roll up the window really bad noise, like not enough power to the window, and my speedo would go crazy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts