Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope you're having a great 4th. My high beams aren't working. Symptoms:

• Low beams work normally when I turn on headlights.
  • When I push the multi-function switch (MFS) forward, my headlights turn completely off.
  • When I pull back for the flash-to-pass high beams, nothing happens.
  • No high beam blue indicator on the dash with either pushing forward or pulling back on the MFS.
  • All other MFS functions (turn signals, intermittent wipers, washer fluid, hazards) work normally.
This happened the first time about a year ago. After reading a few posts on the board I thought it was a faulty MFS. I had a dealership replace it and the problem was fixed.

Recently the high beams went out again. Thinking the year-old switch had malfunctioned, I bought a new MFS switch and just finished replacing it but the problem persists.

Any other ideas on why the high beams don't work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the fuse box under the dash, I checked:

• Slot 12, high beam headlamps (15A)
  • Slot 11, left headlamp (10A)
  • Slot 15, right headlamp (10A)
These fuses are ok. Any others I should check?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tom, I was hoping I could avoid chasing wires. I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities one by one before I have to do that.

Checked both the headlight bulbs and they look ok. Any other input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Important, do the low beam headlights go off when you apply the parking brake? What position is the headlight switch in? Does it have autolamps?

Also check fuse #37 under the dash.

You don't have to chase wires, but you need to go around and find if you have power or not at various places. I'd start with the high beam fuse (#12) with the lights on and the stalk forward (key ON).

http://revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=122960

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Important, do the low beam headlights go off when you apply the parking brake? What position is the headlight switch in? Does it have autolamps?

Also check fuse #37 under the dash.

You don't have to chase wires, but you need to go around and find if you have power or not at various places. I'd start with the high beam fuse (#12) with the lights on and the stalk forward (key ON).

http://revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=122960
Low beams remain on when parking brake is applied. Engine running, headlight switch in "On" position. Car does not have autolamps.

Fuse #37 appears ok.

I can get a test light tomorrow, thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all, just thought I'd post an update in case anyone else runs into this problem.

The culprit turned out to be the Smart Junction Box, aka the fuse box. It is located behind the dash board on the driver's side. If you're sitting in the driver's seat it would be above your left foot under the dash.

In addition to holding external blade type fuses it has an internal relay for the high beams. If that goes out you'll experience the high beam issues I described above. It's a dealer-only part that cost me $240.

The high beams now work properly, however, after replacing the SJB my keyless remotes (key fobs) no longer work. It turns out they are coded to the SJB so they need to be reprogrammed. That's on my to-do list this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
greg2
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing