Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased an 07 Taurus.

It has been starting pretty good for the most part. Then one time I had gone to start the car and it cranked for a bit longer than normal, then it fired, then the RPM's dropped, and it stalled. Then at start attempt #2, it started just fine.

I took it back to the dealer and they changed the fuel filter and told me to let them know.

Today, the car did the same thing. Anyone have any ideas? Just want a few to be able to point the dealer in the right direction. ;)

I'm new to the Taurus, but very familiar with the good old 3.8 GM's. They had issues with fuel pumps doing funny stuff like this. Do the fuel pumps go in Taurus's easily. What is the fuel PSI for the Taurus at Prime and Idle.

Thank you and ideas are definitely welcomed!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
i have the same problem on my 2004 when cold, but im broke and its too cold to work on it now, no other problems though, and turning the key and waiting doesnt do anything so im not sure if its the fuel pump, i also do not have a CEL

·
Registered
75 Posts
It could be poor quality gas.

Try filling up at a big name fuel station (Chevron, Shell, Exxon, Mobil etc) that does alot of business selling gas.....some stations have lower quality fuel.....in terms of "winter fuel". The gas stations are supposed to keep "winter fuel" (the actual fuel is more volatile to help with cold weather engine starts and warm-ups) in their storage tanks for a certain period of time. Well you can imagine that there is alot of variability to when the stations change fuel and the quality they get.

This problem happens to alot of people and alot of different cars around this time of year.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Check fuel pressure, oh and try starting it floored and if it starts check your iac

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Have a can of starter fluid handy? Once the car is running, spray around various sealing points such as the upper intake gasket, the back side of the upper intake where the valve is, etc. Both are common points for vacuum leaks. Just a very fine, light mist.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bull Geek, think I may have stumbled onto something. Every time I start the car I hear a very prominent sucking sound. Once thought it was just the car sucking in through the intake.

Anyone have a vacuum line diagram for the Vulcan?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to also give it a week or two and see how it starts in regards to the fuel idea. I usually fill up at Tops Fuel or NOCO. Two bigger ones that see a LOT of business. I went to Mobil today to see how things go. And in regards to fuel pressure, can anyone give me some figures for the PSI in regards to prime and idle.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
ok so my problem exists on cold start, not necessarily on a cold day just after a long night. it starts and idles super low studders and stalls then if i restart it, it starts up no problem at all, so im thinking it might be a fuel pump issue.

i couldnt find a vaccum leak but i havent tried to look too hard its down right freezing out lately. ill try the foot to the floor test tomorrow, i have turned the key on and waiting 10 sec for the pump to kick in and it doesnt help ill try foot down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after a few days, I have had the same issue again. Identical to what s2knott mentioned. I am going to poke around at the idea of a vacuum leak and take a close look at the intake.

Other bit of information worth mentioning, not sure if this is related, but when at a stop, or after the car is started and it is just idling; the tach shows a slight flutter in the RPM's. Approx a 100 RPM drop, then back up, then down, then up. All within less than a second, continuously doing this, doesn't stop.

Perhaps a vacuum leak could also prohibit this?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It probably has a vac leak at the intake air control valve gasket, there's a nice thread about that in the topic finder, '04+ Vulcan, hard start, poor acceleration. It's the round part on pass side of UIM with 2 wires going to it, held into place with hex screws. Good if you catch it in time before you fry out the cats and o2 sensors from running too lean.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Surging idle is often a sig of a vac leak. Idle problems with no problems while crusing also indicate a vac leak. Use a scan tool to get fuel trim values (both banks) at idle and at cruise and report back with the results

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I got around to changing the IAC Gasket, cost $13 from Emerling Ford-Mercury, only dealer in the area to have it.

Any rate, it seems as if I have gotten rid of the surging idle. However, today again, the car almost stalled after start, then the RPM's picked up and it was fine.

Any other ideas anyone?

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I got around to changing the IAC Gasket, cost $13 from Emerling Ford-Mercury, only dealer in the area to have it.

Any rate, it seems as if I have gotten rid of the surging idle. However, today again, the car almost stalled after start, then the RPM's picked up and it was fine.

Any other ideas anyone?
I have that problem with my 96 where the fuel pump checkvalve is bad, it loses fuel pressure when it sits for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Any other ideas anyone?
jaimysessanna, your're from Erie County? That would make two of us! My 06 stalls like yours about once a week. Wonder if its common to these years as I've read a lot of similar posts. I've also had it get near close to stalling a few times as yours.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sure am, Eden to be exact; yes I wonder if this is an issue for the later years of the 4th generation. I'm going to check some fuel PSI's, and possibly get a fuel pump swap if they're out of wack. Also going to check around the UIM for any leaks. It has too much of a prominent sucking sound upon start. I know the intake might make a sound, but this seems a bit more than that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.