Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My ignition key is so loose inside the cylinder most of the time when I leave the key in the ignition the warning chime does not work, to indicate to key is in the ignition when I open the door. If I leave the the care door open with key in ignition and move it up or down/side to side a little the warning chime will come on. Again key is very very loose going in and out of ignition.

Is this a matter of replacing the cylinder. All else works fine, so far. If I take it to a dealership can the new cylinder be configured to fit my key?

Not looking forward to having to use two keys, new one for ignition and old one for trunk/doors.

Thanks Guys
Gary In Macomb, Mi.

·
Super Moderator
8,117 Posts
Replace the lock cylinder. Easy to do..... takes 10 minutes working slowly.

Yes, the new key would need to be programmed either by the dealer, a locksmith, or using Forscan (free download) with a temporary extended license.

A cheap and easy way (which would effectively defeat the PATS system) would be to take the old key that the PCM recognizes and put it inside the column cover close enough to the PATS antenna ring so the PCM would recognize the the old key and allow the car to start with the new key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the lock cylinder. Easy to do..... takes 10 minutes working slowly.

Yes, the new key would need to be programmed either by the dealer, a locksmith, or using Forscan (free download) with a temporary extended license.

A cheap and easy way (which would effectively defeat the PATS system) would be to take the old key that the PCM recognizes and put it inside the column cover close enough to the PATS antenna ring so the PCM would recognize the the old key and allow the car to start with the new key.
Thank you Jeff, I am 73 now and my back is pretty much shot. Can't do much more than general maintenance now. I don't mind the PCM system, just want it to work properly, actually it is my wife's car, need I say anymore lol.

So, they can change and match the new ignition lock cylinder to the old key, so that the old key will still work on the doors and trunk and ignition?

Thank you, Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jeff, I am 73 now and my back is pretty much shot. Can't do much more than general maintenance now. I don't mind the PCM system, just want it to work properly, actually it is my wife's car, need I say anymore lol.

So, they can change and match the new ignition lock cylinder to the old key, so that the old key will still work on the doors and trunk and ignition. Guess I am asking if new cylinder lock tumblers can be adjusted to fit old key?

Thank you, Gary

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi, My ignition key is so loose inside the cylinder most of the time when I leave the key in the ignition the warning chime does not work, to indicate to key is in the ignition when I open the door. If I leave the the care door open with key in ignition and move it up or down/side to side a little the warning chime will come on. Again key is very very loose going in and out of ignition.

Is this a matter of replacing the cylinder. All else works fine, so far. If I take it to a dealership can the new cylinder be configured to fit my key?

Not looking forward to having to use two keys, new one for ignition and old one for trunk/doors.

Thanks Guys
Gary In Macomb, Mi.
Let me give you a very easy and quick fix. Take the key and wrap very tightly some black electrical take around it- 2-3 wraps about 3/4 the way from the bottom of the the key toward the top. Stick it back in and see if the chime works- if so- you are fixed without a huge expense. You could also use some shrink wrap for a touch better fix.

It is easy to do that as people get lazy in taking the key out on a downared arc and wear down the pins or the tightness of them. It also saves a bunch of expense and time in fooling around with the dealer. If you had the Ford software you might be able to do cheaper.

This was a problem with a number of us on the Jaguar Forum, especially on S-Types and XJ's from the 1999-2007 period. The fix was more than easy.
20181230_204209_1359367e39119c8eacd207be6217e1ef573739f7.jpg

Tom in Dallas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me give you a very easy and quick fix. Take the key and wrap very tightly some black electrical take around it- 2-3 wraps about 3/4 the way from the bottom of the the key toward the top. Stick it back in and see if the chime works- if so- you are fixed without a huge expense. You could also use some shrink wrap for a touch better fix.

It is easy to do that as people get lazy in taking the key out on a downared arc and wear down the pins or the tightness of them. It also saves a bunch of expense and time in fooling around with the dealer. If you had the Ford software you might be able to do cheaper.

This was a problem with a number of us on the Jaguar Forum, especially on S-Types and XJ's from the 1999-2007 period. The fix was more than easy. View attachment 216628

Tom in Dallas
Thank you for the reply Tom, yes that would work for me, but this is my wife's care and well, need I say anymore...lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I was getting coding a key to the cylinder and programing confused. I can get my old key coded to a new cylinder for $115 + labor. Plus they can of course program a spare key for the transponder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts