Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used taurus a couple months ago.
it's been getting a little chilly where I live, so i turned on the heater for the first time last week, and it was blowing cold air.

My dad, the semi-mechanic, took a quick look and said the AC was on, even though the panel was set to heat.
The thermostat and anti-freeze has been replaced, and the heating cord is hot (while blowing cold air).

any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks a bunch in advance

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the a/c cycles while the heat is on the defrost, feet and other options to remove humidity out of the air so the windows dont get foggy. is the hose going into and out of the heater core hot? when you move the selector do you hear a vacuum or other things happening inside the car? is the a/c clutch kick on and off or is just always on?

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
I bought a used taurus a couple months ago.
it's been getting a little chilly where I live, so i turned on the heater for the first time last week, and it was blowing cold air.

My dad, the semi-mechanic, took a quick look and said the AC was on, even though the panel was set to heat.
The thermostat and anti-freeze has been replaced, and the heating cord is hot (while blowing cold air).

any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks a bunch in advance
Many posts here about the blend door motor. Common failure and usually fail to the cold side. Blend doors adjust the temperature.

If you have automatic climate control, ATC there is a procedure for checking errors. ATC has digital temp setting, manual just a dial.

If you have ATC post back and I have a copy of how to get the codes and I will copy it here.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
With the key in the on position, after the chimes subside, rotate (adjust) temp. knob listening for a clicking and/or thump. Might also slide out the radio with din keys (ford radio removal tools available at parts stores or walmart for <$5) and observe the blend door actuator for movement with the key on and rotating the temp. knob.

·
Registered
38 Posts
With the key in the on position, after the chimes subside, rotate (adjust) temp. knob listening for a clicking and/or thump. Might also slide out the radio with din keys (ford radio removal tools available at parts stores or walmart for <$5) and observe the blend door actuator for movement with the key on and rotating the temp. knob.
^This. If there is movement and the blend door actuator is functioning correctly, I would flush out the heater core. I had a similar problem with my car - both my hoses were hot, however the core was still plugged up and once it was completely blown out the heat worked fine once again.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
^This. If there is movement and the blend door actuator is functioning correctly, I would flush out the heater core. I had a similar problem with my car - both my hoses were hot, however the core was still plugged up and once it was completely blown out the heat worked fine once again.
Being an SEL, it's probably a Duratec, which doesn't have the cooling system sludge problems.

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
Bigdogg2830, does your 07 sel have the eatc (auto) or manual hvac controls? Iirc, ford discontinued the eatc earlier on the taurus/sable?

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
This was an 07 se with 87k mi. and a salvage title due to hail damage, no collisions. Seller had auto check and carfax to back it up. Everything had been repaired except the roof, which had less than half dozen small dents. Makes sense, as the roof is the most costly and labor-intensive panel to repair with hail damage. At least the headliner needs removed or entire roof replaced. Drove an hour to see and test-drive. All fluids were perfectly full and clean, no codes, 4 new tires and drove like a dream. Hadnt driven a vulcan for at least 10 yrs., but this one had a lot more pep than i remember. Maybe ford tweaked them in my absence. Drooled over all the room to work in the eng. bay and the convenient placement of components vs the tec. But alas, like the moron i am, didnt bring any cash, just a credit card. Told him since i wasnt in dire need of a car, i would think about it overnight and probably come back in the am. Wasnt too worried, because it had been in the local paper for more than a week. Called next am only to find out it sold less than 1 hr. after i left. The elderly seller told me due to the rainy weather or his wife gone daily in the car, i had been the first to view the car. Also let a fully-loaded 07 ford 500 sel for $6k and 90k mi. and no salvage title fall by the wayside. FML, lol!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.